What happens if you breed two black sex links?

chameleon

Chirping
Dec 23, 2016
Garden Route, South Africa
Let me start by saying that I know the offspring won't be sex linked. I'm asking purely out of curiosity.

I've purchase some chicks from a reputable breeder, 5 New Hampshires and 5 Potchefstroom Koekoeks. The Koekoeks are a South African barred breed, very similar to Barred Rocks, only better suited to our climate. The breeder has told me if I breed a New Hampshire roo to a Koekoek hen I will get sex linked chicks.

As a future project I may decide to breed them. If I were to keep a roo from the sex links, and breed him to a sex link hen, what would their offspring look like? I'm not worried about them being sex linked, I'm just curious if it can be done and what they will look like. I've done quite a bit of research and I can't find any information.

I've also heard that the hybrids lay better. Is there really a significant difference in laying? And will this be carried forward or not?

Hybrids do lay good,but they burn out earlier then others.

Thanks for the feedback. My chickens are a hobby and pets, so when you say 'burn out' does it just mean they stop laying sooner or do they also experience health problems and a lower quality of life? I'd rather have them lay slow and steady if they'd be happier and healthier.

Thanks for the feedback. My chickens are a hobby and pets, so when you say 'burn out' does it just mean they stop laying sooner or do they also experience health problems and a lower quality of life? I'd rather have them lay slow and steady if they'd be happier and healthier.
I mean stop laying early around the 3 year mark.But have some sex links who have continued laying throughout the 3 years old and will be 4 this spring.But I also have a BSL who I have not seen visiting the Nest boxes.

Thanks. So does that mean they could pretty much come out any combination of red, black or barred?
Black is a dominate color,that is why their called black sex links because the barred dominates over the red,well that explains the black.The term sex link just means sexable at hatch,but i'm sure you know that.

Burn out sooner means stop laying sooner. From what I've read. I got my first sex-links Golden Comets as day old chicks, they are 47 weeks old. I've read they are hardy and so far I've not had to medicate or worm.
As far as mating a sex-link roo with a sex-link hen, egg laying will not be as good, from what I have read. I don't know what they will look like. My five pullets give me 32 to 35 eggs a week for around 5 months straight. GC

Their health is just like any chcikens.They may catch a disease,or as they age they just die from natural causes.Sex-Links have good immune systems and are one of my only hens I believe who never get sick.

Last edited:
I mean stop laying early around the 3 year mark.But have some sex links who have continued laying throughout the 3 years old and will be 4 this spring.But I also have a BSL who I have not seen visiting the Nest boxes.

Their health is just like any chcikens.They may catch a disease,or as they age they just die from natural causes.Sex-Links have good immune systems and are one of my  only hens I believe who never get sick.

Black is a dominate color,that is why their called black sex links because the barred dominates over the red,well that explains the black.The term sex link just means sexable at hatch,but i'm sure you know that.

Thanks for all that information. I'm glad they'll be healthy, the stock I'm starting with is from a good breeder so I should be starting out with some reasonably strong chickens, especially the Koekoeks that have been bred for hardiness. And I also thought that as with any animal, cross breeds are generally stronger and healthier. I was just worried if they lay too much it may compromise their health, but I'm glad it doesn't, thanks.

As for the colour, sorry if I'm asking silly questions, I'm just curious. Does that mean that going forward the barnyard mixes would end up being just black then?

Edited to fix some spelling mistakes

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom