What Have You Learned About Poultry Since Joining BYC?

Pics
Oh it wasn't a hatch, it was pullet order from a hatchery. But being my first flock, i did alot of research. In that research one of the things i learned is that nothings 100% guaranteed and i could end up with some roos. Well then i was convinced i had alot of roos. Well then further research convinced me even more that i had a bunch of unwanted roos, lmao.
If the shipment was actually pullets, it is 95 to 99% accurate. You might get one cockerel if you order 100 pullets so all cockerels would be odd.

I am sure you have found out by now that some breeds have pointy feathers for both genders.

Hackle and saddle feathers are different and usually come after the cockerel starts crowing

Oh, one of the coolest things I've learned since joining BYC is how to do a gross necropsy and how to identify some diseases.

Thanks to @connerhills, another thing I've learned how to do is sinus infection surgery! There used to be a feed store near me that had some peafowl with massive sinus infections. It was on those two peahens that I followed George Conner's instructions and learned this.

Last edited:
If the shipment was actually pullets, it is 95 to 99% accurate. You might get one cockerel if you order 100 pullets so all cockerels would be odd.

I am sure you have found out by now that some breeds have pointy feathers for both genders.

Hackle and saddle feathers are different and usually come after the cockerel starts crowing
Yes, i know all this now. But i didn't then, lo.

I learned, first, how little I knew. Then I learned how much there is to learn. I learned how many things I was doing and had done wrong. I learned what a wonderful and generous community this is. One of the most fascinating things I learned is that there is no penetration during mating! And I'm still learning! 😄

Oh, one of the coolest things I've learned since joining BYC is how to do a gross necropsy and how to identify some diseases.

Thanks to @connerhills, another thing I've learned how to do is sinus infection surgery! There used to be a feed store near me that had some peafowl with massive sinus infections. It was on those two peahens that I followed George Conner's instructions and learned this.

Whoa! I think I need a link to this for educational purposes. That's crazy!

Whoa! I think I need a link to this for educational purposes. That's crazy!

George's article:​

Sinus Infection Removal in a Peafowl

Sinus Infection Removal in a Peafowl

Written by George Conner (connerhills) George Connor Rest in Peace Sinus Infection Removal in a Peafowl Blue pied male, owned by Caroline, She brought the bird over to learn how to get this cut out, and is doing the procedure. The patient with a Sinus infection that has grown and hardened and...

And several threads:

Back
Top Bottom