What Have You Learned About Poultry Since Joining BYC?

View attachment 2560237

As an avid reader and learner, BYC has been my go to place for information for many many years on all things poultry! 🐓 🦃 🦚 🦆 🐔 🐤 🐣 🥚

What to do, what not to do, how to handle this situation, or that one. What have other people tried that I could also try, who can I ask for help when I am all out of ideas, and best of all....those who can understand exactly that Christmas morning feeling of excitement when finding new eggs in the nest boxes!

BYC is a wonderful community for learning, sharing, and hanging around other poultry people who just get you. View attachment 2555342

So, what have you learned about poultry? It can be anything, we want to know!
So many points of view exist in the community and it's wonderful that when I have a question I can search for the answers and read all of them.

I think the most interesting thing I have learned about chickens is how much they LOVE to die and at times seem heck bound and bent to do just that no matter how much medicine and care you pour into them.

I've also learned that given enough time and patience, even the most horrid of wounds can be healed up on them.

With the lack of qualified avian vets out there along with the lack of care for fowl that is affordable for most poultry owners, perhaps the most amazing thing I've learned is the ingenuity and dedication of flock keepers all over the world when it comes to treating their birds themselves.

Truly amazing, IMHO.

When I bought my first chicks, it turned out how little I actually knew about chickens. even though my mother had chickens, my knowledge went no further than knowing which weeds they like best and how to collect eggs.
Shortly after I bought my first 6 week old chicks some of them suddenly died and it turned out that I had more roosters than hens (with exchange guarantee if there were no hens) I started reading a lot and learned a lot on a chicken forum and some websites in the Netherlands and Belgium. How little had I learned as a child. How grateful I was that there was so much information available on the Internet.

When I started looking further I found BYC. How great. So many good articles to learn from. The first years I was not active here because of the differences and the language barrier. When I had questions, I got very good and nuanced answers here even though my English is not very good. Finally I said goodbye to the Dutch forum because of the intolerance and hatefulness of a few people there. Not a place for good laugh either.

All in all, I learned and laughed countlessly here. What exactly I learned here or elsewhere I don’t recall. There are so many things I have learned here worth knowing.
What comes to mind. :
  • The first thread on BYC that really made me laugh was the bathroom -fodder story of @gtaus .
  • I definitely learned to read and write better English here. There is only one thing I’m still struggling with : the abbreviations many of you use for chicken breeds and such.
  • I have learned that all chickens are individuals, each with its own character and behaviour. But they all love mealworms.
  • Climate and weather are important factors to keep in mind if you build a coop.
  • In the US you seem to be at odds with your neighbors quit often when it comes to chickens
  • If I want to let a broody brood quietly, I need more space than a standard pen and run.
  • BYC as a forum for chickens/poultry and other animals can also be a forum to laugh and where everyone can 'lay their own egg' (Dutch proverb)
Thanks @Ridgerunner , @aart , @rosemarythyme and all the others (too many to name them all) who have given me great advice over the years.
Thanks moderators for all the support and fun contests and especially @Nifty-Chicken for maintaining and improving the website.

Where to begin, I learned a ton here on BYC. I've learned how to feel a chickens crop, diagnose sour crop, induce vomiting for a chicken w/ sour crop, treat sour crop, integrate new chickens into existing flock, ID different poop, check for mites, de-worm chickens with proper dosage.

Stuff you just learn on your own with experience. Chickens poop a ton and often, not to worry about every little thing or symptom as long as they are acting normal/healthy and eating and drinking most issues work themselves out. How to part time free range my flock and get them back into the run with zero problems (treats involved). Each chicken has its own personality just like we all do. FRESH EGGS ARE AWESOME!!!!

BYC is a great helpful place, very glad I found it!

When I bought my first chicks, it turned out how little I actually knew about chickens. even though my mother had chickens, my knowledge went no further than knowing which weeds they like best and how to collect eggs.
Shortly after I bought my first 6 week old chicks some of them suddenly died and it turned out that I had more roosters than hens (with exchange guarantee if there were no hens) I started reading a lot and learned a lot on a chicken forum and some websites in the Netherlands and Belgium. How little had I learned as a child. How grateful I was that there was so much information available on the Internet.

When I started looking further I found BYC. How great. So many good articles to learn from. The first years I was not active here because of the differences and the language barrier. When I had questions, I got very good and nuanced answers here even though my English is not very good. Finally I said goodbye to the Dutch forum because of the intolerance and hatefulness of a few people there. Not a place for good laugh either.

All in all, I learned and laughed countlessly here. What exactly I learned here or elsewhere I don’t recall. There are so many things I have learned here worth knowing.
What comes to mind. :
  • The first thread on BYC that really made me laugh was the bathroom -fodder story of @gtaus .
  • I definitely learned to read and write better English here. There is only one thing I’m still struggling with : the abbreviations many of you use for chicken breeds and such.
  • I have learned that all chickens are individuals, each with its own character and behaviour. But they all love mealworms.
  • Climate and weather are important factors to keep in mind if you build a coop.
  • In the US you seem to be at odds with your neighbors quit often when it comes to chickens
  • If I want to let a broody brood quietly, I need more space than a standard pen and run.
  • BYC as a forum for chickens/poultry and other animals can also be a forum to laugh and where everyone can 'lay their own egg' (Dutch proverb)
Thanks @Ridgerunner , @aart , @rosemarythyme and all the others (too many to name them all) who have given me great advice over the years.
Thanks moderators for all the support and fun contests and especially @Nifty-Chicken for maintaining and improving the website.

:woot Nice post.

"...even though my English is not very good." Fooled me. I think your English is very good.

Thanks for the shout out to the BYC forum. You are right, there are just too many good and helpful people here to name them all. I think the moderators must be doing a great job, because I really don't see hateful comments on this forum. When members disagree, the comments are civil and that furthers the discussion.

And, let me add, that I have appreciated your comments and contributions to this forum. It's great that BYC forums reaches across the oceans and gets input from people around the world. We all benefit from a wider member base.

View attachment 2560237

As an avid reader and learner, BYC has been my go to place for information for many many years on all things poultry! 🐓 🦃 🦚 🦆 🐔 🐤 🐣 🥚

What to do, what not to do, how to handle this situation, or that one. What have other people tried that I could also try, who can I ask for help when I am all out of ideas, and best of all....those who can understand exactly that Christmas morning feeling of excitement when finding new eggs in the nest boxes!

BYC is a wonderful community for learning, sharing, and hanging around other poultry people who just get you. View attachment 2555342

So, what have you learned about poultry? It can be anything, we want to know!
What a Question? Mainly- There seems to always be more than one approach for problems. How to fix many health issues , prevent issues more importantly. To search at BYC with my ?S, There are many people with my addiction around the world I can share with.. Have you seen the size of this forum now...lol

:woot Nice post.

"...even though my English is not very good." Fooled me. I think your English is very good.

Thanks for the shout out to the BYC forum. You are right, there are just too many good and helpful people here to name them all. I think the moderators must be doing a great job, because I really don't see hateful comments on this forum. When members disagree, the comments are civil and that furthers the discussion.

And, let me add, that I have appreciated your comments and contributions to this forum. It's great that BYC forums reaches across the oceans and gets input from people around the world. We all benefit from a wider member base.
If it gets too complicated , I use google translate to make the best of it. 🙈
And 2 years as an active member on BYC, helps a lot too.

But thanks for all the feathers 🪶😍

I love BYCs!! Incubating is something I had no idea about until reading through this forum. Reading so many threads here gave me tons of valuable information. I got my own incubator a few years ago and have had awesome luck hatching eggs. This year I tried shipped eggs for the first time and had a 35% hatch rate, despite the post office scrambling them. Couldn’t have done it without the awesome members of this forum.

Back
Top Bottom