What have you repurposed while building ?

Pics
After spending way more money than I wanted to spend to buy a 6'L x 20" W piece of closet maid shelving to complete a broody pen, I had an "A-Ha!" moment. Refrigerator shelving. Sure enough, the next time we went to the dump, we found a freezer that was being discarded. It had nice white, rubber coated shelves. I brought those home and they will be a perfect start to the next broody pen I want to build. They have extensions on each end which would also work nicely (as hinges) to turn each shelf into a "door" for a chick brooder, or other similar enclosure. An added bonus was 2 freezer baskets that were in "like new" condition. After sterilizing them, I'll find a good use for them.
I found 4 perfectly good metal shelves setting in a parking lot next to the garbage can. What person in their right mind would throw such an item away? It’s now my brooder in the shop.

0629181344a~2.jpg
0629181333a.jpg

Our coop was purchased but the run is made from old lumber, the yard from material we took out when we first moved here. They previous owners had a dog run of chain link fence and a decrepit above ground pool surrounded by a wooden fence. A friend gave us two dog igloos no longer needed and they are scattered throughout the run and yard along with old pallets for hideaways and shelter.

Last edited:
View attachment 1474205 View attachment 1474205 View attachment 1474206
Our coop was purchased but the run is made from old lumber, the yard from material we took out when we first moved here. They previous owners had a dog run of chain link fence and a decrepit above ground pool surrounded by a wooden fence. A friend gave us two dog igloos no longer needed and they are scattered throughout the run and yard along with old pallets for hideaways and shelter.
I’ve really got to get around and put the igloo in the run. Our dog never used the thing. Even in the pouring down rain.

Hubby doesn't like to take me to the dump with him. He gets rid of the trash, and I bring home new... um... treasures. I need a barn to keep my treasure stash in. He gives me the stink eye when I start tossing stuff in the truck. But, he will also admire it when I find a particularly nice stash. Last dump haul: 1 x 3 x 12' strapping, never used, 8 pieces. I've also brought home a stack of new finished lumber varying from 1 x 4 - 1 x 10 each piece almost 4' long, good quality pine, almost knot free. The door and windows) in my coop (you can see the coop in my interview listed in my signature came from the town dump. I have enough storm windows and patio door storm panels to make a nice start on a stick built green house. Old metal swing sets make wonderful trellises in the garden. We put one in the chicken run to support the truss system to their sun room.
The area we live in is so weird they actually have rules against taking stuff back with you from the dump. But we have one guy that works at our dump so we try to go when he is there because he will purposely maybe not pay attention when people do. I also stare at old metal swingset because there’s about 1000 things I could think to use them for. I need a bigger truck

After spending way more money than I wanted to spend to buy a 6'L x 20" W piece of closet maid shelving to complete a broody pen, I had an "A-Ha!" moment. Refrigerator shelving. Sure enough, the next time we went to the dump, we found a freezer that was being discarded. It had nice white, rubber coated shelves. I brought those home and they will be a perfect start to the next broody pen I want to build. They have extensions on each end which would also work nicely (as hinges) to turn each shelf into a "door" for a chick brooder, or other similar enclosure. An added bonus was 2 freezer baskets that were in "like new" condition. After sterilizing them, I'll find a good use for them.
And that’s also why I told my husband oh don’t worry about it I’ll take the trash to the dump this weekend. I’m able to stash it in or behind the shed before he gets up me

View attachment 1474205 View attachment 1474206
Sounds like you were left quite a few treasures. When we moved in we found three large pieces of chain link fence about 7 x 10 the old owners left behind the shed two of them have been added as part of the run and one of them has My loofahs growing up it in my garden. That’s a nice run. And those are some nice friends. Those igloos are hard to come by Unless they are new. And at brand new price no thank you

Our dump also has a "no picking" policy. Liability caution in action here b/c one nit wit once used the long handled "cultivator tool" to retrieve something from a bin, and did not put it back. A later customer drove in, and the tool fell against his truck and scratched his new paint job. Town had to pay to fix the damage. They used to LOAD wood chips for local gardeners. Now, will not do so even if paid or even if a waiver of liability signed. Sad world we live in. However, the employees all need new glasses, b/c they seem to not notice if stuff gets taken.

Our dump also has a "no picking" policy. Liability caution in action here b/c one nit wit once used the long handled "cultivator tool" to retrieve something from a bin, and did not put it back. A later customer drove in, and the tool fell against his truck and scratched his new paint job. Town had to pay to fix the damage. They used to LOAD wood chips for local gardeners. Now, will not do so even if paid or even if a waiver of liability signed. Sad world we live in. However, the employees all need new glasses, b/c they seem to not notice if stuff gets taken.
It’s a pretty slow area where I live so he kind of knows everybody that comes in and out of there in one of the guys purposely doesn’t pay attention when certain people are in there. Isn’t it great though how a couple of people who don’t think an art respectful can ruin things for everybody

Back
Top Bottom