what hawks are dangerous to chickens

bambi

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Mo.
We have a red shoulder hawk raising babies and not sure if they will kill 9 week old chicks are hawks dangerous to full grown chickens? If so what kind of hawks kill chickens

All hawk's are "raptor's.They prey on mice, rabbit's,just about anything they can get.And Yes Chicken's.I lost some new polish chicken's, a couple silkie's and one of my oldest cochin hen's to a redtail.We had a grey got in coop that had lost a foot somehow and got my last duckwing hen last summer.Hubby put it down because it would not have been able to hunt normaly anymore. Law's vary from state to state about them.If you are in a No Kill State for hawk's you should keep your bird's under covered area.They will attempt to get those bird's if they are free range. My neighbor work's for forestry so I got a lil info over the year's on protecting my stock. Va law's though.Check with your local Wildlife Conservation on law's in your area about protected specie's before making "rash" decision's.

Hawks will kill anything they can, especially if they are feeding young. Cover your runs.
thumbsup.gif

YIKES!!! the red shoulder hawks nest is about 200 ft from the coop. I only see them taking rodents, lizards and frogs but with the babies getting older so I wasn't to sure if parents would try to introduce my chickens as a meal.

I was dealing with a red tail a few months ago, but now a pair of red-shoulders have moved in. They too are somewhat close, nesting maybe 700+ feet away from my small yard in some branchy woods. I'm pretty sure they have young by now. Luckily, they have completley ignored my 10 week old chicks. They seem to prefer the big fat squirrels around here as aposed to birds. I don't have much security from hawks, but with a few shiny mirrors hanging from a tree, plenty of cover, and an open patio the chicks can run too when scared, I'm pretty sure mine are just fine. Not to mention they are very wary of things in the sky and run under a bush whenever the see a bird larger than a blue jay. I doubt a WELL FED red shouldered hawk would attempt to kill and eat and full grown SF or LF chicken, bantams possibly. I've seen them 10 feet away while taking walks around my neighborhood, they aren't very big. Maybe 1-2 pounds? 1 1/2 - 2 feet tall? Definately not a huge hawk...but none the less. It's a hawk. A starving one feeding young probably wouldn't hesitate taking on a 5 pound chicken. Better safe than sorry. So find some way to protect the chickens, I always found feeding the crows, grackles, and jays help keep the hawks at bay. Hanging a few shiny objects in a tree won't hurt either. Good luck!

Last edited:
I just finished making 5 owl decoys. They are made of plywood and are flat. Painted to look like an owl and have reflective eyes. I hpoe this works because I have lost 3 silkies in the last three weeks from hawks.

Back
Top Bottom