what hunting dog breed do you perfer and why ?

i dont hunt - But i agree with labs over anything else. My neighbors dogs have killed plenty of my ducks when their collars stop working
somad.gif
if they werent the sweetest dogs ever i would have sho them already. they usually leave two puncture wounds on the stomach and a puncture wound on the back but otherwise the bird is in perfect condition ( well as perfect as a dead duck can be ) except for a little slobber.

Quote:
Schnauzers raised in our house want to mother animals or dont care - but my grandma has a pup from one of my dogs tha kills EVERYTHING. We cant even have her at the house anymore when my grandma goes out of town because everytime she comes over she manages to kill something that is a PET. Love the big marshmellow ( she is white and on the heavy side ) but I hate when im not watching her for five minutes and she somehow opens a cage or pulls one of my friendly animals through the brs because they dont know any better.

Golden Retriever. Why? He's smart, super easy to handle, and great family dog. Hunt ducks, geese, and all the upland birds too. He's steady to flush and shot on land also. Couldn't imagine hunting with anything else. I love my multipurpose/multitalented Goldens.

Far as varmints go Ive got a little beagle girl that is heck on bunnies. She came to us we didn't seek her out. Father in law loves a good beagle and helped get her started after that it was all education in the woods. 13" but she's all heart.

I've also seen a pair of beagle x Jack Russell Terrier crosses that were unreal. Totally fearless, will run till their heart gives out, and nothing, I mean nothing phased them. They were an oops litter but I tell ya that was an oops Id like to see again. Terrier heart and mindset with the nose of a hunt. Varmint getting machines.

l like llewelin setter , irish setter, gordon setters. brittany spaniels and german shorthairs are goods. labradors are everyones go-to dog.... my absolute favorite dog is a boykin spaniel... they are perfect for a family and they are awesome for hunting. they can do it all.

Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. They are the versatile hunting dog, and although ours is retired now, (she's 10), she has been the best hunting dog ever. She points, flushes, retrieves, water retrieves, tracks blood trail, etc. When she was a pup, my hubby took a shot at a duck and missed, but she took off into the water to the other side of teh pond. She searched for 20 inutes, determined to bring back a duck (she obviously did not know my hubby missed), She was so persistent, she actualy came back and dropped something at my hubby's feet. It was the wad from the shotgun shell. she was the best grouse hunter we ever had.

Here she is doing what she did best, retreiving a ruffed grouse.
5467_img_3019.jpg

Okay, first let me say that I have never hunted with a dog, but I've heard that black-mouthed curs are incredible hunting dogs. They are very intelligent and will hunt almost anything, from squirrels to bears. They are also very defensive of their family.

chocolate lab. I miss our family dog like nothing else. pointed, flushed and retrieved with zero training from us. she was just born doing it. we ended up giving away all our rabbits and pet birds. not because she ever ever hurt them, but because she would open the cages and retrieve the poor parakeet or rabbit. there was never a single mark on the animals, a little slobber. but how fair was it to be carried around in a dogs mouth several times a week. she loved my sisters and I unconditionally. ran a intruder out of the house and then stopped at the door. she lived to almost 15 before she died. shes buried out back behind the house with a large field stone to mark the grave.

My Catahoula is my bird dog, and I have the 2nd one in training. He's gentle with the birds (no bruising), listens extremely well, and is intelligent enough to know he's not allowed to "fetch" the chickens.

15626_101_1368.jpg

Back
Top Bottom