What if there was a magic potion to get our chickens to love us?

Soon after I got chickens, I read "somewhere" that chickens don't like being picked up and held. So I never did, even though hens would often fly up to sit on the arm of my chair or even on my lap. I always talked to and spent a lot of time with them, but was content to remain "no contact." And then about five years ago one of my favorite sweet hens became ill. It was soon obvious that she was dying, so I picked her up and brought her inside my house. She had always let me know by her behaviors that she adored me, but this was the first time I had ever held her. She was very clingy and obviously comforted, and so I held her into the wee hours of the morn when she died in my arms. I have always regretted I didn't hold her at every opportunity when she was well. But since then, I've discovered other hens that also love to be held. When I pick them up, they immediately become as relaxed and limp as little puppies, and their behavior relaxes me too. Oxytocin and mesotocin are definitely being mutually produced during those moments.

When I'm contemplating the difference between those chickens that seem to enjoy affection and those chickens that have a fear reaction when approached, I wonder how much of a role genetic predisposition plays. I then wonder if it might be possible to override this predisposition. So, over the past winter, I've been working with Petey a three-year old EE who has always had a complete meltdown when I would reach for her or even get too near to her while doing tasks in the run.

I have read about other BYC members doing what I've been doing, and having it make a difference. We begin by ushering the shy chicken into a small enclosed space. Then we talk softly while approaching her, allowing some of the panic to dissipate. Once the chicken quiets down, we pick her up and hold her firmly, talking softly.

After the chicken has completely calmed down, we hold her a little past that to drive home the fact that being held is not the life threatening experience she thought it was and then release. This is repeated several times a week. This has worked with a very fearful rooster in the past, and it's improving Petey's fear response immeasurably.

After an entire winter of this, Petely no longer explodes in fearful flapping and flight, and she doesn't even move away from me when I pass by her in the run. While she isn't yet among those that beg to be picked up and snuggled, she tolerates it. I could stop the training right now and I'd feel successful. But since I adore "lab experiments", I will continue this training to see if Petey is able to some day join those chickens that think physical interaction is even better than getting a treat.

My training of that long ago fearful rooster was stopped prematurely when dogs killed him. Hopefully, Petey will live a long life so we might see this emotional development reach a higher level than where she is at the moment.

When I'm contemplating the difference between those chickens that seem to enjoy affection and those chickens that have a fear reaction when approached, I wonder how much of a role genetic predisposition plays. I then wonder if it might be possible to override this predisposition. So, over the past winter, I've been working with Petey a three-year old EE who has always had a complete meltdown when I would reach for her or even get too near to her while doing tasks in the run.

I have read about other BYC members doing what I've been doing, and having it make a difference. We begin by ushering the shy chicken into a small enclosed space. Then we talk softly while approaching her, allowing some of the panic to dissipate. Once the chicken quiets down, we pick her up and hold her firmly, talking softly.

After the chicken has completely calmed down, we hold her a little past that to drive home the fact that being held is not the life threatening experience she thought it was and then release. This is repeated several times a week. This has worked with a very fearful rooster in the past, and it's improving Petey's fear response immeasurably.

After an entire winter of this, Petely no longer explodes in fearful flapping and flight, and she doesn't even move away from me when I pass by her in the run. While she isn't yet among those that beg to be picked up and snuggled, she tolerates it. I could stop the training right now and I'd feel successful. But since I adore "lab experiments", I will continue this training to see if Petey is able to some day join those chickens that think physical interaction is even better than getting a treat.

My training of that long ago fearful rooster was stopped prematurely when dogs killed him. Hopefully, Petey will live a long life so we might see this emotional development reach a higher level than where she is at the moment.
I am so making this a daily part of my life! First with my most lovey one to see if she will love me even more, and two with one that I really get a kick out of but she’s not thrilled with me. Actually that’s most of them, lol! I’ll go with my 9 month old salmon favorelle.

This is important information. It may indicate a relationship between mesotocin and estrogen. Also, it looks like broody hens have more receptors for mesotocin than other hens.

Someday, a scientist will take this information and do blood tests, and then we'll see this information come together.

All my broodies have been affectionate or at least approachable with one exception. I had a Golden-laced Wyandotte fourteen years ago named Irene. She was a violent psychopath, and even worse when broody. She hated me with every cell in her body every minute of her life. Her existence greatly hampers my hypothesis on mesotosin.
I have 5 gold laced wyandottes, all hens. Lovely flock, that all take turns at their chance to move up the pecking order. Except one hen named Patient. I have never ever ever witnessed her poke another chicken. Not once not Ever. But, she will poke me while we are digging. She growls at me and goes after my tools, all while growling. Its something else really cause to bows to any other hen. Her behavior is awesome. She digs like a champ and normally chooses taking her chances with a possible buggie rather than running to me when i have treats. She is always last to run to me. I admire her skills and independence. Ever since she spent a week indoors for a cut comb at 5 months old, shes been put at the bottom of pecking order, but clearly doesnt belong there. These days, at 2 years old in May, the flock is harmonious and finally, all using the roost bar in the evening instead of the nest. Funny I have never seen my chickens go broody. Do you think its because we have no rooster?? Either way, love em all. The personality differences are so cool. 🐓❤️

Attachments

• IMG_5044.jpeg
    IMG_5044.jpeg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4904.jpeg
    IMG_4904.jpeg
    458.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4898.jpeg
    IMG_4898.jpeg
    534.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4792.jpeg
    IMG_4792.jpeg
    558 KB · Views: 3
These days, at 2 years old in May, the flock is harmonious and finally, all using the roost bar in the evening instead of the nest. Funny I have never seen my chickens go broody. Do you think its because we have no rooster?? 🐓❤️

A rooster does nothing more for a hen's biological processes than to provide sperm. If they were going to go broody, they would have done so by now.
Did you see the sentence that they will only be 2 years old this coming May?🙂

I have 5 gold laced wyandottes, all hens. Lovely flock, that all take turns at their chance to move up the pecking order. Except one hen named Patient. I have never ever ever witnessed her poke another chicken. Not once not Ever. But, she will poke me while we are digging. She growls at me and goes after my tools, all while growling. Its something else really cause to bows to any other hen. Her behavior is awesome. She digs like a champ and normally chooses taking her chances with a possible buggie rather than running to me when i have treats. She is always last to run to me. I admire her skills and independence. Ever since she spent a week indoors for a cut comb at 5 months old, shes been put at the bottom of pecking order, but clearly doesnt belong there. These days, at 2 years old in May, the flock is harmonious and finally, all using the roost bar in the evening instead of the nest. Funny I have never seen my chickens go broody. Do you think its because we have no rooster?? Either way, love em all. The personality differences are so cool. 🐓❤️
So precious! I see them as individuals too, they are my family. It always shocks me when one of them behaves badly and someone’s immediate responses is to kill them. I think of some of the terrible human family members I have and never has it been suggested to kill them! They are what they are. If they are harming someone that is different but that applies to chickens AND people!

I could never eat a chicken again since I got my chicken family several years ago. It is so repulsive, and I can’t understand how someone could understand the distinct personality and beauty in these lives, then think it was OK to eat them. Just call them “livestock“ and it’s all good. 🤢🤮

Broodiness is genetic. It sounds like you got a batch of GLWs that do not have a dominant line for broodiness. I had GLWs that went insanely broody not long after they reached point of lay, and they kept on going broody. One turned into a crazy psychopath when she was broody, and she would attack me and any chicken that crossed her. That's not to say that yours will never go broody, but it will be independent of any rooster, present or not.

I am curious about my flocks affection for me as well, I have had many chicken owners in awe of their weird behavior , I haven’t had anyone say they have seen chickens act this way before , I have 24 chickens 1 rooster copper maran (Dwayne the cock johnson) he’s my biggest love , he’s so affectionate, he tidbits me and he’s one of a kind - the ladies I have a group of 6 that are Columbia rocks and I have marans and Easter eggs - the 6 ladies CR’s are insane , follow me everywhere and line up to be picked up and press their face so tight on my check and neck and eyes closed and nuzzling - so I have to give them each a turn and the more pushy one jump at me and or will peck at me until I finally pick them up
For a snuggle , when I do the force they put scrambling in to my neck is crazy they sleep and snore lol if we have company and are sitting outside having a fire or hanging out they won’t go near anyone else and I have 6 ladies All trying to get on my lap
I’m curious if anyone else has had this happen and what does it mean - I love them so much but some days I feel like tripping over them
I should mention I have also 4 turkeys 2 make 2 female , the one male is very attached and won’t go roost at night and will stare at the house until I go put him to bed lol

Back
Top Bottom