Separate names with a comma.
Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions)
in our 2018
Coop Rating Project!
Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkiechick05, May 20, 2010.
but it hasn't pipped. At what point do you intervene?
Do you want the correct answer or MY answer? The correct answer is to not intervene at all. My answer is the first instant after I can't wait any longer! I don't just jump in right away but if by overnight they haven't pipped, I'll pip for them and check the humidity to make sure it is high enough.
Every chick that I helped out there was something wrong with it and I had to cull it. If you help it and somethings wrong are you able to cull it if needed? I was told if it's not strong enough to get out on it's own it's not strong enought to live. I don't mean to sound mean and it's up to you but I no longer help them.
I would leave it in there, but do not help it. If it is too weak to break out of its shell, then it will be a weak chicken. If it cannot break out of its shell for any other reason, it will most likely have problems when its a chick. Leave it be.
I would intervene if it has gone beyond 21 days. The inability to break out of the shell does not automatically mean the chick is weak or deformed. Sometimes they just get themselves in a bad position. I had an EE hen that lived to be 18 years old and if I had not decided to open the eggs as I was tossing them, she would never have "hatched". My father told me she would never amount of anything but she was a big, robust hen that laid all winter, long after the other hens stopped. He always had his egg for breakfast. It really is a personal decision.