What in the world is this??

That’s a good idea, thanks! I have eighteen birds, probably two thirds of whom I’ll have no trouble with. It’s the rooster I’m most worried about, as he’s too flighty to even let me near him. And those spurs are super sharp…😬

Maybe dose him first by letting everyone else out and blocking his exit. Once dosed he can still be let out to range while not in the group you are having to handle.
If he is roaming and not in the pen he cannot try to flog you for messing with his girls.

Grab the rooster from the roost at night, bundle him up in a towel with just his head sticking out.

Sit him on your lap holding him like a football with your left arm. Tug down on his wattles and shove the medicated piece of bread in his beak and immediately let go of the wattles so he can swallow.
Talk to him im a low gentle tone all the while handling him.

In fact, you can grab them all at night to dose them peacefully which will prevent chasing and alienating them.

Go out to your coop(s) in the dark before sunrise when your birds are roosting. They cant see in the dark and bring a flashlight with you. Bring the Valbazen with you and the syringe.

Snatch a bird off the roost one at a time and worm them with your preloaded syringe.
Cradle the bird in your forearm, use your finger and thumb to pull down on the wattles and their mouth will open. Quickly squirt the liquid in the mouth and quickly let go of the wattles so the bird can swallow the liquid. Then release the bird and snatch another bird off the roost and repeat until all are wormed.

It's important to let go of the wattles right away. If you dont, the bird can aspirate. Practice it or do a dry run so to speak. You'll be a pro in no time flat. Eighteen birds is easy to worm, even skittish birds or fighters.
If a bird shakes its head, hang on to the wattles and she'll tire out. Do not administer more than 1/2ml at a time, it would be too much for them to swallow at one time and might aspirate.
Then repeat in 10 days with the Valbazen.

Thank you for all the ideas! Looks like I’ll be getting up at 4 am soon. Oh, should I weigh them all to see what the correct dose is, or can I just administer the same one to everybody? All the hens are standard size, though there are a couple tiny ones.

All right, the medicine got here. I don’t have the right syringe, but I’ll try to go to the farm store tomorrow and see if they have one. Should I wash the syringe in between every single bird, or just not bother? They peck in each other’s poop all day, for crying out loud. 🙄

All right, the medicine got here. I don’t have the right syringe, but I’ll try to go to the farm store tomorrow and see if they have one. Should I wash the syringe in between every single bird, or just not bother? They peck in each other’s poop all day, for crying out loud. 🙄
I'm sure somebody will say to wash it between each bird, but in reality, you are correct. They are drinking out of the same bowl, eating side-by-side and yes, pecking at each other's crap. Lol

I would not take the time to wash between birds that share a coop, feed, and water.
Getting those worms wiped out is definitely the highest priority.
Your “kids” will feel soooo much better once they don’t have to deal w those parasites.
Make sure you don’t miss the second dose !

And what do y’all think about the egg withdrawal period? I’ve heard some people ignore it and are just fine. I would really hate to throw out all those beautiful eggs they’re laying…

All right, I’m planning to get up at four tomorrow morning and dose the first half of the flock. Most of them should be fairly easy, but I’m expecting a few problem children. There always are :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom