What in the world is this??

HorseGirlAbby

🌷 Welcome spring! 🌷
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
May 14, 2021
Eastern WA
My hen pooped this out this morning. I have absolutely no idea what it is. It looks disgusting, so I’ll put it in a spoiler for you sensitive people. My hen, Delaware, is a Delaware (go figure) and she’s five years old. She doesn’t have any issues besides having a crooked neck, which doesn’t bother her. She eats normal all-flock feed, with oyster shell and the occasional overripe apricot or mulberries. She’s acting normal this morning, eating and drinking fine, and chasing around some of the younger hens. What does this mean? Is it worms? Honestly, it looks like she just pooped out a pile of intestines. Not appetizing at all.
IMG_1432.jpeg

Thank you, that’s what I suspected. As for the intestinal lining, is the hen all right? Is that normal or not? And for the worms, what do you suggest I deworm them with?

Thanks. Is this only available by prescription? And should I give it to the entire flock?

Thanks. Is this only available by prescription? And should I give it to the entire flock?
Valbazen isnt prescription. Your local feed store might carry it. You can order Valbazen in this link if you wish:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E07949-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5
Dosage is 1/2ml given orally for a 5 pound bird using a syringe without a needle. Then repeat dosing again in 10 days. It would be best to worm all your birds.
Large roundworms can cause shed intestinal lining just for your information.

Valbazen isnt prescription. Your local feed store might carry it. You can order Valbazen in this link if you wish:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E07949-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5
Dosage is 1/2ml given orally for a 5 pound bird using a syringe without a needle. Then repeat dosing again in 10 days. It would be best to worm all your birds.
Large roundworms can cause shed intestinal lining just for your information.
Thank you so much. I’ve given oral medication before, but not to the whole flock. There are some who will be real problems. 😬 But thank you again for your help. I will start treating then asap.

Thank you so much. I’ve given oral medication before, but not to the whole flock. There are some who will be real problems. 😬 But thank you again for your help. I will start treating then asap.
For my problem birds I put the dose on a small piece of bread. It can be a pain if the flock is large.
I locked birds in the run and would catch them one by one to shove through the pop door. Once dosed they got to free range while I got the rest one by one.

For my problem birds I put the dose on a small piece of bread. It can be a pain if the flock is large.
I locked birds in the run and would catch them one by one to shove through the pop door. Once dosed they got to free range while I got the rest one by one.
That’s a good idea, thanks! I have eighteen birds, probably two thirds of whom I’ll have no trouble with. It’s the rooster I’m most worried about, as he’s too flighty to even let me near him. And those spurs are super sharp…😬

Back
Top Bottom