What is a "breeder?"

To me a "breeder" (for lack of a better term) is one who breeds for the qualities in the SOP and culls heavily to maintain those traits in the birds they intend to add to their breeding flocks.

I, unlike some don't think it requires showing to be a quality breeder either. Take for example the photos that were posted yesterday of some birds at a state fair. A person was showing them, but I wouldn't let them on my farm, let alone in my breeding pens. Very poor examples of their breeds. Since that person shows does that make them a breeder? I'd bet they used the fact they show as a selling point.

A person's "breeder" reputation should be built on what their birds look like, not how many shows they've been to. When I started trying to find quality birds I looked for people that had birds that met the SOP....I really didn't care if they showed or not....I was looking for quality birds, not ribbons.

If someone wants to bypass my birds because I don't show and have no plans to that's their choice. I really don't care.......I'm not in it to make a name for myself. I'm doing it because I love the breeds of birds that I've chosen to raise.

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
Katy! Well said.

I agree with you, Katy. Well said. And I am in the same boat you are, or I was, when I was breeding. At the moment, I am not a breeder of anything, but I still know what my favored breeds should look like, according to the standard, and I know which ones of mine don't measure up to that standard. Knowledge isn't dependent on whether you show or whether you are an actual breeder, IMO. No matter what anyone calls me, I do not call myself a breeder.

I figure anyone is a breeder if they let animal's procreate and reproduce knowingly. However a GOOD breeder is someone who has a specific goal in mind when they are breeding, and it doesn't just have to be to the SOP, some people are creating new color varieties and some are creating new breeds - I still feel these are good even great breeders as they are taking the time to look over their parent stock, cross accordingly, take the time to let the offspring grow out and evaluate, keep records, and have a goal in mind for what they are looking to achieve fro their breeding efforts.

A good breeder is all those things - someone who has a goal for what their breeding to achieve wether its to better a standing recognized breed to the SOP or to create a new breed. They keep records, pick and choose the best attributed parent stock, keep records, grow out and evaluate offspring, keep a handle on their roosters' fertilities, honesty, and culls birds who don't make the grade (kill, give, or sell as pets/layers). A good breeder only keeps the best stock for their goal in their pens and adds fresh genes/bloodlines accordingly when needed.

And that how you become a good breeder - buy the best stock for what your looking for, know what you want to achieve, and be able to keep the records, fertility, and be able to handle culling those that don't make the grade and keep the best stock for what your achieving only.

Showing has nothing to do with being a good breeder - especially for those who are breeding new varieties or breeds as there is no place for them to show a bird that doesn't fit a standard that hasn't been made yet.

Anyway just my 2 cents worth.
smile.png

I don't call myself a "breeder" either Cyn.....never will either. I'm just a person who raises certain breeds of chicken that I like the looks and personalities of. Simple as that. I don't need or want the limelight of the showring and that is not my goal. Nothing wrong if a person enjoys doing it, it's just not something I'm interested in nor can I afford the travel it takes. My only goal is for 20 years down the road to not have the people who I got my original birds from see my birds and cringe at what "their" line of birds looks like now....even better if they see them and think I might have even improved on them.

Very interesting thread..! Great points being made!
Here are my thoughts on the subject:

Quite possibly a breeder is an idealism few achieve.......
One could think of a breeder as an individual who spent the better part of their lives defining and perfecting a breed, before that breed became mainstream. These people put effort forth in all aspects of the breed, from propagation to promotion and education, to forming clubs and associations. You know the ones I am talking about their names are synonymous with the given breed.

Or something a little bit more achievable, yet highly respectable IMO:
People who have been working on their own lines for many generations, people who are active in education and promotion of their perspective breed. People who are clear on the status of the birds they are selling. "May get some show birds" "pet quality only" "works in progress". These people are often active in clubs, associations and forums. They are honest and forth wright with information on their birds. They are dedicated and knowledgeable. These people may show their birds because of their inherent activity and interest in the breed. They may rightfully win many ribbons.

Many breeds have many flaws or kinks that need to be worked out. I feel anyone who works for multiple generations on reducing flaws based on the breeds standard of perfection can start to be considered a breeder. Same goes for people working on a new color of a given breed.. The term breeder is something that must be earned, through time, hard work and dedication.

A breeder is NOT:
Some one who bought quality stock, makes one pairing selection based on the breeders recommendations. Wins a local ribbon or two and sells the offspring. (Absolutely nothing wrong with that....As long as they are honest about the background of their birds. I just do not consider that to be a breeder... Just a breed enthusiast.)...

Know with that said... It is just my opinion my "ideal" of what I think of when I think about a breeder..., I do feel the vast majority of people have their hearts in the right place... I firmly feel their is not one absolute answer to the question..."What is a breeder"

ON

I'm not saying everyone who shows has great bird or dogs or horses... I'm saying showing is an education on what the current interpretation of the standard is. I'm saying showing helps you see how judges are taking the standard. And winning at a big show (NOT a state fair) is some proof that you are at least trying to breed the best you can breed. Everyone who doesn't show uses "well I saw such crap stock at a show, so showing proves nothing" or "I can't afford it" ... I find people afford what they want to, and even going and watching is at least an education... And if a breeder is willing to put all the extra effort and money into show prep, travel, time at a show, then they deserve to be held in higher regard than someone who is not willing to put the "extra" effort in.

If the standard calls for a short head and moderate feathers, WHAT does that mean??? To you it could mean one thing, and to me another, therefore I really feel it is up to the breeder to learn, network with other breeders, to see what that interpretation means.

I've never once said that you HAVE to show to be a good breeder, but I do think it helps, and I find it hard to believe that anyone who doesn't show is a better breeder than a successful show breeder. To put it into dogs: IF I wanted to buy a lab to start breeding for field trial work, would I go to someone down the road who "breeds labs to the standard"? Or would I seek out someone who actually participates in field trials.? I'm going with the field trial experience as that gives me a better shot at getting a field trial dog.... NO it doesn't mean there is a guarantee, but it sure ups the chances that the resulting dog might get a title/be useful in the field.

I don't mean any of this to offend, and it isn't personal. As I've said before maybe chickens are different, but in horses and dogs, you have to compete to prove your stock.

Last edited:
Anybody can be a breeder. All you have to do is take a roo and a hen and put them in a pen together. I reputable breeder is one that has a goal, is honest, and has made many improvements in every generation. I semi agree with Katy. You dont need to show to have quality birds. Sometimes those are the best breeders because they dont do it for the ribbon. I also hate when people put "show winners" on their ads because they won at a local fair. I think that you if you win at an APA or ABA show, then you are a great breeder.

Coming from a breeder of a totally different species, non poultry related this is my opinion of a breeder:

Someone who strives to better the species/breed through proper breeding of breeding quality stock, continuing education in the species, and competing at a show level--for pet or for profit.. A back yard breeder someone who is breeding for profit and by doing so doesn't take into considerations the lines or quality of the breeding animals.

While I have a few roosters, and several hens I do not consider myself a breeder. I have the chickens 98% for egg production(and meat production here and there), and don't have the heart to kill my friendly roo's. I will be hatching out a few chicks here and there, but strictly for my own enjoyment and use. I will not be selling them, and am not keeping my lines "pure" so to speak. I'll just have backyard mixes for my own egg production for family/friends and a few chicks here and there to replace my own stock. I do not consider myself a true breeder, nor do I consider myself a "back yard breeder".

Breeders- can improve stock toward existing breed and variety standards , sometimes creating new ones

Reproducers- buy good stock, can raise some nice birds, but often have to go back to the breeder to keep getting stock in order to maintaint quality

Propagators- hatch birds of questionable quality, or heritage, some times in mass numbers

There are probably a few more catagories that could be added

Back
Top Bottom