What is a good feed storage container to keep out roaches??

Right now I have a 30 gallon plastic trash can that I store my chicken feed in. However, the lid is not tight enough to keep out the roaches from getting inside. Whenever you remove the lid to scoop out feed, roaches scurry all over the place. My Wife will no longer feed the chickens because of all the roaches that jump on her hands and arms.
I have thought of buying a really large ice chest, (about 110 quart size) but that would be pretty expensive.
Anyone got any advice on some type of air tight storage container / containers that can hold 3-4 fifty pound bags of feed at a time.
I use one of these. It's the smaller one, but they have larger ones available. I really like it because I have open and close the lid with one hand and it closes tightly and keeps out bugs AND moisture.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0786B8NKL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Right now I have a 30 gallon plastic trash can that I store my chicken feed in. However, the lid is not tight enough to keep out the roaches from getting inside. Whenever you remove the lid to scoop out feed, roaches scurry all over the place. My Wife will no longer feed the chickens because of all the roaches that jump on her hands and arms.
I have thought of buying a really large ice chest, (about 110 quart size) but that would be pretty expensive.
Anyone got any advice on some type of air tight storage container / containers that can hold 3-4 fifty pound bags of feed at a time.
Oh lucky you grab the little devils and feed them to your hens they love them wish i could catch them that easily yum yum protein..

I use metal garbage cans not only does the lid fit nice and snug but it will also keep out things like mice and other rodents because it is metal and they can't chew through it like a rubber or plastic containers.
Yes you need to keep out rodents as these pollute the feed

I Recently stumbled upon someone who puts a little diamataceous earth In her feed. It deworms the flock. It also kills roaches. Just a thought.
There is no proof what so ever that Diatomaceous Earth kills worms as once swallowed it goes soft and is useless but there is scientific proof it causes lung problems including cancer besides hens love roaches so feed them back.......live protein

We have gone to using metal trash cans with lids (the size depends on the amount of food you put in). Also, we have put the "trash cans" in our house or enclosed garage and we have no problems with any bugs, rats or heat-humidity problems

Back
Top Bottom