What is a good (or bad) dog breed to have around chickens?

Honestly, good and bad are opinions. There are really no "good or bad" breeds to have around chickens. Now, wait, hear me out before you blow off what I have to say.

Breed is simply a genetic disposition of an animal. Think of it as an outline, if the breeder bred for the standard or the original purpose than that is the outline you should follow. For example, let's use a beagle for example. A very popular breed and bred by hundreds of breeders everywhere and for hundreds of purposes too. One breeder breeds them to be rabbit beagles, he selects the dogs that are his best and favorite for hunting rabbit. So now you have an animal that looks like a beagle, loves to run, never picks his nose off the ground, and chases small animals out of genetic selection. On another hand, you have someone who breeds beagles for exhibition/showing. They are selecting an animal who strictly follows a physical standard and they are selecting an animal who is comfortable in a public/busy environment so their beagles will perform well on the show ring. Same breed, two very different breeders.

So, since you are looking for a dog that will do well around birds and small animals, you want to start with the basics. Cross hounds, herders, spaniels, and terriers of your list. Hounds are bred to course animals for a living, great dogs and can be trained to be around animals, but as a default you can pretty much assume they are going to chase small animals. Herders, again, bred to herd(chase) livestock, this is their default setting. Terriers, bred to chase, kill, and eradicate small animals, mainly rodents. Spaniels, bred to chase birds. They have to be trained not to harm their prey, but nevertheless the default setting is to have lots of energy and that prey drive towards birds.

Notice a lot of defaults in there, correct? This is because breed is merely a basic outline and not a cut and dry standard for every individual within a breed. Most livestock guardians are great around livestock, but there have been many occasions where they go rogue and kill the very animals they protect.

to be finished later!

-Kim

We have three dogs. Two toy poodles an a great pryeinis(spelling). All do well with the chickens once they were shown they are to watch over them and not hurt them. My male toy has to check on them everytime he goes outside. He likes to herd them back to the coop when you tell him to. I have picture of him watching over his girls, but I do not know how to unload the picture.

I have 4 border collies, their genetic disposition is herding and agility, that I introduced to our new RIR chickens. 3 of them don't have any interest in them, but 1 is always smelling and trying to serch them out. I never leave the dogs and chickens unattended, and when I let the chickens out of their penned area, I make sure that the dogs are in the house. I have to agree with the others opinion that it is all in the training and not so much of the type of breed. But I would stay away from the smaller terrier breeds, just my opinion. Good Luck

As an LGD owner, my initial suggestion is always to get an LGD pup like a Great Pyr or an Anatolian Shepherd..

If a giant dog like that isn't an option, however, I'd stop looking by breeds and start searching dog by dog.. Try to find an adult shelter/rescue dog that's too stupid to chase a tennis ball. If you expect it to protect the chickens in any way, find one that weighs about 75lbs or more and makes you a little nervous. If it's not expected to guard, it should greet you happily.. Either way, it should be too stupid to play catch -- that's the important part.

And, yes, I'm dead serious.

Ditto about choosing an individual, not a breed -- but it helps to narrow the search if you start with a breed known for specific attributes. I'd vote for an old-fashioned collie (rough or smooth) myself. They're fabulous with kids, not as hyper as border collies, and have a strong instinct to protect smaller creatures. Yes, like any dog, there's always the possibility of one not meeting those general characteristics, but your likelihood of getting a good one is probably higher than taking potluck on a mixed breed. You'd probably be best not to purchase one from someone breeding for competitive herding. Most collies mellow out and become couch potatoes as they get older.

FYI, my first dog as an adult was a Pembroke corgi, and my second a smooth collie (both deceased). Loved them both, but if we get another dog, now that I have little kids and chickens, it'll definitely be another collie.

Last edited:
I have 4 dogs, 2 Aussies, 1 Blue Heeler/Aussie cross and a Pekingese.
I trust the Aussies the most.

The Blue Heeler/Aussie Cross really wanted at them at first. He would sit in front of the pen, bark and stare. I alpha rolled him, then told him no if he even looked at them. It got the point across. Now they walk right by him and he ignores them.

My Aussies never really showed much interest. If I try to catch one, they want to help so I tell them no.

The Pekingese, he was the hardest and the most bull headed.

I still don't trust any of them alone with the chickens. Especially the Blue Heeler and Pekingese.

Quote:
We got a golden retriever from a rescue when I still lived with my folks, and we also had an old, old lab mix.. The GR used to attack the old lab mix mercilessly, and for no reason at all.

I got the advice to alpha roll the GR next time it showed interest in attacking the lab mix...and I did. Scared the dog so bad he pee'd a little...on me....which was awesome. Suffice it to say he knew not to screw with me after that.

Thing is...it was never me he was screwing with.. Consequently, he killed the lab mix a few weeks later.

Needless to say, I'm not a big believer in the alpha roll..

YMMV.

We have two Australian Shepherds who are allowed to be with the chickens and two Bullmastiffs who are not. The older Aussie is alittle less patient about being pecked than she used to be(she's 12). The younger one is very tolerant with them. Aussies have a high play/prey drive but are very trainable. I agree with alot of the other posters, it's more about training than the breed.

Hi! I agree- it is in the training but there are some dogs that you may never get broke of the natural instinct to chase!!
I have a Pembroke corgi- She is great!! We only have trouble with her wanting to lick all the baby chicks-Wow was that moms tounge-What a bath!! She chases the barn cats for fun but never hurts the kittens just herds them. She will herd the goats where "she" thinks they belong- back in the pen!!
lau.gif

We also have a yorkie that has killed several baby kittens, chicks and ducks before "I" learned he can't be trained there, but once they are past a certian age he is ok with them as they start confronting him and he stops. I can leave him out with them and not have a misshap after they are 2 months (there about)..

We have just gotten a great pryn. x wht germ. sheperd girl-She is just 9 weeks and hope to train her to stay with the goats for protection but for now we are teaching her manners! Down, sit, LEAVE the chickens alone.. She was outside yesterday unattended and didn't bother anything. I'm sure she isn't trained yet but she does know what NO means, and once corrected she has seemed to mind. She seems really eager to please and I can see where being mean in training could make her mean!!
Training! Training!! Training!!!
fl.gif
th.gif
duc.gif

Quote:
Wow.. We were just talking the other day about what might come out of a cross between Ivan (Sarplaninac LGD) and our GSD, who also happens to be a purebred white.. We determined that cross would either be reallyreallygood, or reallyreallybad..

If it got the non-existant prey drive, some bulk, some laziness, and just a hint of fear-agression from the LGD, plus the obedience and a touch more athleticism from the GSD, it would be a real marvel of a guard dog..

If it got the prey drive, energy, and some speed from the GSD, plus some bulk, a lot of bull-headedness, a tendency to be "mouthy," and big time fear-aggression from the LGD...holy crap...that's a wicked bad combination.

I wish you luck..
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom