What is a good starting chicken for 4-H fancy showing?

ChickGirl4Life

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
Geneva,OH ~Grape Jamboree~
It's my first year I'm 4-H and I ordered 2 Black Cochins. Any temperment tips or if they have a good sense for training and what-not?
cool.png

Quote:
Well, There isn't much training other then just make sure to handle them a lot so they are tame for you! Good luck!!! Don't be afraid to go to the APA shows, they are fun and people are always willing to help!

Yeah, look for club shows, and go and scope them out! Don't be afraid to exhibit there too, the "old timers" love it when young kids are getting into chickens. Where did you get your cochins?

I agree with Celtic Hill on handling them a lot. Put them on a table and work with them to stand still without trying to fly off the table. Also, they should not lay on the table, the judges want them standing at all times. Good luck, you will have fun showing them.
thumbsup.gif

I forgot to answer your first question.

What is a good starting chicken for 4-H fancy showing?

Well, Everyone says something different. I think if you want to show you should get something that is in your price range and is easy assessable. I would suggest before buying any birds to go to some apa/club shows and look around there, you might be able to find a decent pair to start out with instead of chicks. This means you could start showing right away instead of waiting five months.

Back
Top Bottom