What is a good starting chicken for 4-H fancy showing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickGirl4Life, Apr 4, 2011.

1. ChickGirl4Life

ChickGirl4Life Out Of The Brooder

It's my first year I'm 4-H and I ordered 2 Black Cochins. Any temperment tips or if they have a good sense for training and what-not?[​IMG]

2. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:Well, There isn't much training other then just make sure to handle them a lot so they are tame for you! Good luck!!! Don't be afraid to go to the APA shows, they are fun and people are always willing to help!

3. ChickGirl4Life

APA in American Poultry Ass. right?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  4. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Yeah, look for club shows, and go and scope them out! Don't be afraid to exhibit there too, the "old timers" love it when young kids are getting into chickens. Where did you get your cochins?

5. ChickGirl4Life

I'm pooling them in with my mom's friend's order to Murray McMurray but I haven't gotten them yet.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I agree with Celtic Hill on handling them a lot. Put them on a table and work with them to stand still without trying to fly off the table. Also, they should not lay on the table, the judges want them standing at all times. Good luck, you will have fun showing them. [​IMG]

7. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:ahh Gotchya! I would say order 4 just in case any don't make the trip! Just my opinion.

8. xxIsabellaxx

xxIsabellaxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    I'm in my 4th year of 4-H and It's a good idea to handle them alot.

9. ChickGirl4Life

I didn't know i would get so many answers but I'm glad for them and thank you so much! [​IMG]

10. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I forgot to answer your first question.

What is a good starting chicken for 4-H fancy showing?

Well, Everyone says something different. I think if you want to show you should get something that is in your price range and is easy assessable. I would suggest before buying any birds to go to some apa/club shows and look around there, you might be able to find a decent pair to start out with instead of chicks. This means you could start showing right away instead of waiting five months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by