What is a necessity in a coop, in your opinion?

Has anyone used linoleum in the bottom of the coop and had water get under it and damage the floor? I've seen a lot of people use it, but I saw someone say that they don't suggest using linoleum because water can get under it and be trapped and cause the floor to rot. Is this a problem that anyone else has had?
I stapled thick black plastic to the floor of our coop...no water gets in there though. that is the main thing of coops, they have to stay dry...so no issues there. I did it more so in the event that we want to stop keeping chickens our building won't smell like chickens for all of eternity. So when all is said and done I can just tear up the plastic.

Has anyone used linoleum in the bottom of the coop and had water get under it and damage the floor? I've seen a lot of people use it, but I saw someone say that they don't suggest using linoleum because water can get under it and be trapped and cause the floor to rot. Is this a problem that anyone else has had?
Linoleum will break down over time and split and crack. Then moisture can get trapped under it. And if you have several inches of bedding on the floor, you won't see it or notice it, until your foot goes through the floor. Now it is a good idea to have something, if you have a wooden floor, over it to protect it. I used a rubberized roof coat product (Blackjack #57) that I got from Lowes. This stuff actually becomes a permanent part of the floor. It totally seals any and all floor gaps and joints. Also seals the floor to wall joint/gap. If it can stand up to all kinds of weather extremes on a roof, protecting a chicken coop floor is no problem to this stuff. To apply, just dump out on the floor (Stir well first) and push it around with a roller. After it drys, you won't have to worry about the floor again.
Jack

Necessary? Protection from predators, dry bedding, clean water, balanced food, protection from the elements. Everything else, literally everything else is optional. Some of those options are awfully nice to have, and "standard" equipment (perches, nesting box, poop boards, etc) but if you want to get down to the brass tacks of the situation, the five things mentioned are it.

I love the linoleum floor no water gets in. It is so easy to clean. I love my exterior access to the nest boxes. I love my human size screen door access. I love the automatic pop door, even though i check them every night. I love the electricity and water. I love that the coop is built inside a hoop house

Chickens, waterer, feeder, nest boxes, ventilation, poop boards 3 1/2 inches below roost (catches poop while chickens roost & lay eggs through the night), coop and run all predator proof. This photo shows one of two 2x4 that form a roost that is over my poop boards that pull out for easy cleaning in my 3 level coop 4x8 coop.

Last edited:
 Linoleum will break down over time and split and crack. Then moisture can get trapped under it. And if you have several inches of bedding on the floor, you won't see it or notice it, until your foot goes through the floor.  Now it is a good idea to have something, if you have a wooden floor, over it to protect it. I used a rubberized roof coat product (Blackjack #57) that I got from Lowes. This stuff actually becomes a permanent part of the floor. It totally seals any and all floor gaps and joints. Also seals the floor to wall joint/gap. If it can stand up to all kinds of weather extremes on a roof, protecting a chicken coop floor is no problem to this stuff. To apply, just dump out on the floor (Stir well first) and push it around with a roller. After it drys, you won't have to worry about the floor again. 
Jack

That is a ridiculously good idea. I might just do the same

Linoleum will break down over time and split and crack. Then moisture can get trapped under it. And if you have several inches of bedding on the floor, you won't see it or notice it, until your foot goes through the floor. Now it is a good idea to have something, if you have a wooden floor, over it to protect it. I used a rubberized roof coat product (Blackjack #57) that I got from Lowes. This stuff actually becomes a permanent part of the floor. It totally seals any and all floor gaps and joints. Also seals the floor to wall joint/gap. If it can stand up to all kinds of weather extremes on a roof, protecting a chicken coop floor is no problem to this stuff. To apply, just dump out on the floor (Stir well first) and push it around with a roller. After it drys, you won't have to worry about the floor again.
Jack

SOOO glad I saw this. We're doing a new coop, just started framing it up today. Were going to do linoleum until I saw this. Funny thing is, my husband works for a roofer! Guess he never thought about this for the coop floor. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom