Pics
ok and it seems along this thread that if I go to buy one of these chicks and I DON'T want a rook I want the darkest ones possible, correct?

Sapphire Gem (1).jpg

ok and it seems along this thread that if I go to buy one of these chicks and I DON'T want a rook I want the darkest ones possible, correct?
Yes! That has been some of our experience. Look for darker birds with dark wash on beak and legs. If there's a cute silvery grey one with a flesh colored beak and legs ...stay away. It won't be so cute when it crows hahaha

I was looking through this thread to see how others like their Sapphire Gems because I just love my little ones and found I have a different take on the rooster vs pullet debate.

I ordered 14 females and 1 male of them direct from Hoover's. When they arrived there were quite a few color variations in the mix (including several light colored ones) but only one of them had a white dot on its head.

They're 2 weeks old now and the white dotted one is already a bit bigger than all the others and has more feathers....so we're assuming we correctly assumed he was the roo.

Just thought since I knew for sure I had a roo in my mix that I'd weigh in on the debate.

Here is a picture of him where you can clearly see that dot on his head

Attachments

• 20180403_193501.jpg
    20180403_193501.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 541
I was looking through this thread to see how others like their Sapphire Gems because I just love my little ones and found I have a different take on the rooster vs pullet debate.

I ordered 14 females and 1 male of them direct from Hoover's. When they arrived there were quite a few color variations in the mix (including several light colored ones) but only one of them had a white dot on its head.

They're 2 weeks old now and the white dotted one is already a bit bigger than all the others and has more feathers....so we're assuming we correctly assumed he was the roo.

Just thought since I knew for sure I had a roo in my mix that I'd weigh in on the debate.

This is so helpful!! Thank you. I’m starting to think mine may be all girls now too and they just develop combs fast.

Here are some new pictures. They are 6 weeks today.

Attachments

• 63B5D4B0-D573-43F2-ABB8-D9D5BC0F5ED4.jpeg
    63B5D4B0-D573-43F2-ABB8-D9D5BC0F5ED4.jpeg
    860.4 KB · Views: 548
  • D41B4CB3-E93E-4706-8286-5AF2C0C35B7A.jpeg
    D41B4CB3-E93E-4706-8286-5AF2C0C35B7A.jpeg
    890.5 KB · Views: 529
  • E783E9CF-7899-4972-B796-CCA92A79F549.jpeg
    E783E9CF-7899-4972-B796-CCA92A79F549.jpeg
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 525
  • 5827FA3C-E7ED-45D4-94B9-0AB9BADC726E.jpeg
    5827FA3C-E7ED-45D4-94B9-0AB9BADC726E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 532
  • D46AD22A-C4CD-4C2B-8D75-86DC2DF38E6C.jpeg
    D46AD22A-C4CD-4C2B-8D75-86DC2DF38E6C.jpeg
    865.9 KB · Views: 502

Finally! A male chick that matches the Hoover photo! That doesn't help the rest of us looking for chicks that have lost the light spot but I received my chicks at 2 or 3 days old and no spots were visible. So I was a bit stumped as to what they used to differentiate between cockerels and pullets. But this answers so many questions! I guess for those of us picking up at local stores, the best sign is the elusive dot...it it's present, you know it's a roo. But if not, err on the side of some of our experience and get the darkest ones you can. Though your chick proves that dark with dark wash can still be a roo!

He's going to be gorgeous <3

Back
Top Bottom