Jun 11, 2018
Hi y’all, I’m new to ‘Backyard-Chickens’.

My question is:

What is the best feed for me to give to my week old Japanese-Coturnix Quails?
I have them on a 19% Protein Chick Starter recommended to me by my local feed store.

I have however been reading that Quail need about 25-28% protein?
On YouTube, I have been watching various videos and one says to grind Fish pellets that are used for either catfish or koi as they are high in protein. This seems peculiar as it’s obvious to even the dumbest out there that Quail are far from being Fish!

I then also have been told on Facebook to grind up Kitten Kibble. Looking around in a couple stores I saw that cat kibble has about 30% protein.

I’m confused as to why it has to be so hard to get some decent quality food or at least the right stuff...
Bare in mind I live in England so methods and feed types will be universal but I may not be able to get access to certain non-native brands quickly enough.

Apart from my four J-Coturnix (which will be for egg production), I also have 12 Texas A&M’s in the incubator that may be used for meat- likely to require + Protein?!

Thank you for taking the time to observe my first question/thread, what ever it is...

Josh

Hi y’all, I’m new to ‘Backyard-Chickens’.

My question is:

What is the best feed for me to give to my week old Japanese-Coturnix Quails?
I have them on a 19% Protein Chick Starter recommended to me by my local feed store.

I have however been reading that Quail need about 25-28% protein?
On YouTube, I have been watching various videos and one says to grind Fish pellets that are used for either catfish or koi as they are high in protein. This seems peculiar as it’s obvious to even the dumbest out there that Quail are far from being Fish!

I then also have been told on Facebook to grind up Kitten Kibble. Looking around in a couple stores I saw that cat kibble has about 30% protein.

I’m confused as to why it has to be so hard to get some decent quality food or at least the right stuff...
Bare in mind I live in England so methods and feed types will be universal but I may not be able to get access to certain non-native brands quickly enough.

Apart from my four J-Coturnix (which will be for egg production), I also have 12 Texas A&M’s in the incubator that may be used for meat- likely to require + Protein?!

Thank you for taking the time to observe my first question/thread, what ever it is...

Josh
I have pharoah and have always given them gamebird/showbird by mannapro crumble feed I believe it's around 22 to 24 percent maybe more. I've always fed them that and they are now 3 years old and I have a 6 year old. I also give them boiled eggs for added protein and mealworms.

Purina Game Bird Startena, if you can find it, is 30%. The Manapro Showbird Feed is 24%, which is fine. Your 19% is a little low, but you can supplement it with mashed hard boiled eggs and ground up mealworms (I use a junk coffee grinder until they're old enough to have them as treats with grit). Easy on the mealworms while they're really young.

Turkey starter (use non-medicated) is a higher protein, and I have used this with success. I am able to source locally a game bird starter crumble that is 27% protein, so i tend to buy that, but the turkey starter is my next choice.

With regards to kitten kibble I’ve seen on here, BYC, that cat food contains something that is bad for the quail if fed to them often/on a regular basis. Sorry, can’t remember the problem ingredient.

BYC has a quail forum, so you can post there as well.

Back
Top Bottom