What is causing this? Bright red skin. (pic)

Jksmith

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
This is a pic of my French Black Copper Marans rooster. He has a a patch like this on either side of his vent. It doesn't appear to be sore or uncomfortable and I only noticed it when he was bent over eating. I can't imagine this is normal but I don't have another FBCM roo to compare. Any ideas?

This is a pic of my French Black Copper Marans rooster. He has a a patch like this on either side of his vent. It doesn't appear to be sore or uncomfortable and I only noticed it when he was bent over eating. I can't imagine this is normal but I don't have another FBCM roo to compare. Any ideas?
Mites, lice or both.

Hmmm... I'll look closer for mites and lice then. The only reason I don't think it is his spurs is because I keep them trimmed and they are pretty dull and blunt. Is this how their skin gets when irritated? I have never seen skin so red before.

Hmmm... I'll look closer for mites and lice then. The only reason I don't think it is his spurs is because I keep them trimmed and they are pretty dull and blunt. Is this how their skin gets when irritated? I have never seen skin so red before.
I had one like that and I'm sure it was mites.

I just took a closer look and saw several, very small, dark colored bugs crawling fast across his skin so I assume those are mites. What is the best way to get rid of them? So far none onf the hens have the red skin like he does, but since they all share a coop, I'm sure they will need to be treated too? Any advice would be appreciated. I am researching as well, but if anyone has a remedy that worked well, please share.
Thanks!

I just took a closer look and saw several, very small, dark colored bugs crawling fast across his skin so I assume those are mites. What is the best way to get rid of them? So far none onf the hens have the red skin like he does, but since they all share a coop, I'm sure they will need to be treated too? Any advice would be appreciated. I am researching as well, but if anyone has a remedy that worked well, please share.
Thanks!
Poultry dust on the birds and Sevin spray for the coop/roosts. DE won't work I know, I tried.

Last edited:
Dusted today and plan to clean and spray the coop this weekend. Since it is a rooster and not an egg layer, is injectable ivomec a better solution possibly? Thanks!

Hi, did you find a solution ?

I have had them in the past and have one currently, I have tried everything that would work on red mite but it doesn't work on this.
Im not sure if it is the creepy crowlies eating away the skin or her scratching when itching .....
She has it all over the abdomen, round the vent and the head....
Any advise would be much appreciate it.

Hi, did you find a solution ?

I have had them in the past and have one currently, I have tried everything that would work on red mite but it doesn't work on this.
Im not sure if it is the creepy crowlies eating away the skin or her scratching when itching .....
She has it all over the abdomen, round the vent and the head....
Any advise would be much appreciate it.
Welcome to BYC! Have you tried poultry dust?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom