What is coming out of my hen? Please help.

The Red Raggles Problems Continue....

I've been feeding her better layer pellets, as well as calcium supplements, but her eggs are still soft! I noticed her rear was bleeding a bit this morning, and i think the other chickens have been picking at it. So I have all my hens but her in my breeding pen, and she's isolated in a different coop.

Red Raggles came along with two gold laced Wyandottes, and they were all kind of missing feathers. By now the two Wyandottes have all their feathers back, but not Red Raggles. She's missing feathers all over her saddle, exposing the down feathers, and the normal top feathers are still pretty scraggly and dull. She otherwise seems healthy, scratching, dust bathing, and jumping at me for food. She doesn't have any mites, and just for a good measure I dusted her with poultry dust.

Sorry that your hen is still having shell-less eggs and reproductive problems. Salpingitis, infection, shell gland problems, or stress can be some of the possible problems that are causing this. I had a good layer who was hurt by a dog, and had this happen with continuous shell-less eggs. Many hens who experience continued problems may suffer from egg yolk peritonitis. Some people treat with an antibiotic enrofloxacin which treats E.coli and mycoplasma which can be some of the possible bacteria that can cause reproductive infections. It is banned for chickens, so be aware of that, and there would be a long egg withdrawal time after it’s use. Vets will sometimes prescribe it for reproductive infection, even though it is banned. I can suggest where to get it if you are interested.

as long as she's happy and healthy, I dont care if she lays eggs or not. I just want her to have a good quality of life,even if she isn't laying good eggs every day. She's currently my only hen that does lay eggs every day, even if they are shell-less or soft.

This can be a common problem with one hen in a flock. My hen who did this died about a year later from reproductive infection. The enrofloxacin is 0.05 ml per pound—0.25 ml for a 5 pound hen, given twice a day for 5 days if you decide to use the 10% liquid here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/enro/Most pharmacies will give you a 1 ml syringe without a needle for giving infant medicines if you ask for it. That makes it easier to measure these small amounts.

Back
Top Bottom