What is "Egg Bound"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hopsdog, May 27, 2010.

1. hopsdog

hopsdog New Egg

May 26, 2010
    I heard the term "egg bound". What does it mean and how do you know the signs/ symptoms?

2. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    well you should do a search on this but from what I have read your hen will appear to be attempting to lay, appear uncomforatble, perhaps stop drinking and eating.... discharge. Lots of people successfully get the eggs out and others do not... its not pretty.

Egg bound is just that.... its stuck!

3. Velvet Hammer

Velvet Hammer New Egg

May 19, 2010
    I have a girl that was egg-bound, every Friday for a month. No eggs in between, mind you. The first time, I caught her and helped her sqeeze the first one out. The second time, her butt seemed somewhat pasted up and she smelled something nasty. I bathed her in warm water (wear gloves) and kept her warm and tried to help her pass the egg when she strained. Kept her in a cage, in the mud room overnight. She finally did lay the egg with help, in the morning. I put her back out with the rest of the girls, and she got one stuck again! After some searching (and vent checking) I found that her vent had become prolapsed, and after some more seaching I found someone saying that Preparation H should help heal that and it did. I'm not sure why she became egg bound; the first one didn't seem unusually large. She seems alright now except that she's molting so no eggs from her at all. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by