What is everyone paying for 50# of chicken grower feed

I only have 9 full grown laying hens. 6 white leghorns and 3 domaniques. I'm paying $14.50 a bag for 18% grower feed. That's the cheapest I can find and that is Lone Star brand. How much should 9 chickens eat in a week or month?? They are eating like CRAZY especially as the weather is starting to cool off! They need to start laying GOLDEN EGGS!! Does everyone keep feed in there 24 hours a day? Is that what we are suppose to do? How much could I supplement with scratch? I believe it is a lot less expensive.
I have 5 leghorns, 2 Isa browns , and 1 Black sex link and they eat about 2 or 2-1/2 pounds a day of layer feed. I free feed all they want and they forage a few hours a day also.
Why are you feeding them grower feed instead of laying feed or all flock if they are full grown laying hens? Just curious.

I pay $15 for a 20% crude protein flock raiser in pelleted form. When the birds are not in lay like most of my adults (all the roosters) they are provided a limited ration in the morning. They have all consumed by some time in the afternoon. Then I walk by in the evening a through a little more to make I can see their crops bulge a little before all is consumed. The free-rang birds become full as ticks. The penned birds would eat more, but all are in good weight and some tend to be heavy so I back off their feed application. When the hens comes into lay they get more feed. If it get cold I then begin to provide some sort of scratch mix just before dark so all go to roost with really full crops. There is some slop as some evenings they are over fed a little leaving some feed on ground overnight, something I like to avoid as that promotes rodents or songbirds coming in.

Yeah, I'm at about $16CAD per bag. I have 18 adults and I think about 32 under 10 weeks. They're currently all eating the same feed since I have broodies raising them. I'm averaging about 1 bag/1.5 weeks. I leave my food as all day access, I don't think I have any wild animals getting at it though, and currently my flock free-ranges all day, no fence. So they're getting a lot of their food from... mostly my garden.

I only have 9 full grown laying hens. 6 white leghorns and 3 domaniques. I'm paying $14.50 a bag for 18% grower feed. That's the cheapest I can find and that is Lone Star brand. How much should 9 chickens eat in a week or month?? They are eating like CRAZY especially as the weather is starting to cool off! They need to start laying GOLDEN EGGS!! Does everyone keep feed in there 24 hours a day? Is that what we are suppose to do? How much could I supplement with scratch? I believe it is a lot less expensive.

Assuming they are laying, figure on 65 to 70 pounds of feed per month. A quarter pound per bird per day. Scratch is chicken candy as is corn, not nutritious enough for a laying hen. Her limit on laying eggs is how much protein she can consume and process each day and laying pellets are designed to fill that need exactly.

DAAAANG. I'm paying $30 for a 50 lb bag of Purina Flock Raiser. Plus $10-13 for 2lb bag of seed/worm treats. Feed lasts for months . I have food available 24/7.
You can supplement with lots of other foods , fruits and veggies, left overs.

There's an article .https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-treat-chart%E2%80%94the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens.47738/

Go easy on the scratch., not much nutrients.
:)

$14.50 a bag for #50 isn't bad. I was paying more than that for a 40# bag of Nutrena All Flock at TSC.

Recently swapped to feed from a local mill. Paid $45.50 after tax for 200# of feed - 100# of 16% layer, 100# of 24% game bird grower. Mixing them 50/50 and making 20% protein fermented mash.

and how much they eat depends on breed and weather. My flock, with its ducks and cornishX will eat a lot more than someone with a bunch of dual purpose birds, particularly if they can free range a wide area with readily available sources there - I've been going thru 40-50# a week, or 1.5 - 2# per bird, as an average, with them free ranging over 2 acres (they self restrict to about 1 acre of the available).

Where are you at, @Flame80??? There's no location info attached to your profile.

DAAAANG. I'm paying $30 for a 50 lb bag of Purina Flock Raiser. Plus $10-13 for 2lb bag of seed/worm treats. Feed lasts for months . I have food available 24/7.
You can supplement with lots of other foods , fruits and veggies, left overs.

There's an article .https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-treat-chart%E2%80%94the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens.47738/

Go easy on the scratch., not much nutrients.
:)

$30?! We just bought a 50 lb bag for $16 last week!

Back
Top Bottom