What is going on!

It's the same in my town and the town over the pass. It's small town rural and the three vets all have their hands full with horses and cows. I had no problem convincing my vet to do a fecal float each time I've needed one. Cost about $20. They just need to know we aren't going to burden them with a sick chicken.
Is there any options besides vet?

I am not suggesting you take your chicken to a vet, although it is an option if you choose. You may decide to forego the fecal float test, but it makes it much more difficult to guess what's going on. The fecal float may not show parasites in the poop, but it will then rule those out and let us move on to other possibilities.

All vets do perform fecal float tests in their offices. It's a simple test with results in an hour, and it shouldn't cost more than $20-30. You just need to find one who will do it without demanding to also see the chicken.

The fecal float test on a fresh poop sample from your sick hen may contain worms or other parasites. The test can not only tell if worms are present, but it can tell what species so we can target them with the correct worm med. The test can also tell if coccidia are present. That's even more serious than worms, but both worms and coccidia are easily treated if we know what we're dealing with.

I'd go ahead and deworm with valbazen or safeguard. It might not be the problem, but it's one of the few treatable problems she could have.

Also I'd try making a soupy wet mash with the pellet food to see if she is more interested in eating that. You can also make it very watery and suck some up into a syringe to force feed her if she is not eating at all.

I'd go ahead and deworm with valbazen or safeguard. It might not be the problem, but it's one of the few treatable problems she could have.

Also I'd try making a soupy wet mash with the pellet food to see if she is more interested in eating that. You can also make it very watery and suck some up into a syringe to force feed her if she is not eating at all.
She eneded up dying when I came back home): I was going get deworming meds

I’m sorry ☹️

You might want to consider feeling the other chickens when you shut them in tonight, and make sure they don’t feel thin as well. If they do, I’d go ahead and deworm as well.
Thank you everyone seems healthy and full but I’m still going to deworm them so I can protect them.

Back
Top Bottom