What is going on!

May 16, 2021
Good afternoon. Yesterday I went to the coop and saw her weak and light it’s lm pretty sure she has been starving her self or something. Also her poop is this green color she also did a poop with bubbles. I quickly separated her. I gave her brown rice with turmeric and layer pellets mixed and beef she only ate the beef and little of her food. Today I gave her options of layer pellets brown rice and bananas she only ate the banna. Main flock diet is layer pellets Which she doesn’t seem to eat. Flock is also closed inside their run because free ranging has become a safety risk. Is it because she doesn’t like the layer pellets? Also she seems slow. Do you know what’s wrong with her why she only ate the bannaw? I also spoon feed her a mixture of garlic apple cider ginger honey and turmeric mixture to help with her immunity. Here is a pic of her poop

Attachments

• 8C791AFB-9EA9-4822-AE41-62EA611B5265.jpeg
    8C791AFB-9EA9-4822-AE41-62EA611B5265.jpeg
    527.6 KB · Views: 32
Good afternoon. Yesterday I went to the coop and saw her weak and light it’s lm pretty sure she has been starving her self or something. Also her poop is this green color she also did a poop with bubbles. I quickly separated her. I gave her brown rice with turmeric and layer pellets mixed and beef she only ate the beef and little of her food. Today I gave her options of layer pellets brown rice and bananas she only ate the banna. Main flock diet is layer pellets Which she doesn’t seem to eat. Flock is also closed inside their run because free ranging has become a safety risk. Is it because she doesn’t like the layer pellets? Also she seems slow. Do you know what’s wrong with her why she only ate the bannaw? I also spoon feed her a mixture of garlic apple cider ginger honey and turmeric mixture to help with her immunity. Here is a pic of her poop
How old is she? When did she last lay?

I'm not sure this will make a difference, but have you tried wetting the food, making it into a mash? Sometimes that gets their interest. You could also try a scrambled egg.
How long have they been on the layer pellets, is it a new feed?

How does her crop look and feel? Full, hard, squishy (be gentle when feeling the crop)? Does her breath have an odor?

One thing most people skip when looking for help is they don't answer ALL the questions someone wanting to help asks them... Knowledgeable people ask a lot of questions to help them determine any suggestions they will make.

Personally if someone does not answer all or at least most of my questions I am not able to help them because I don't have the information to make a reasonable suggestion.

You're not sure if she's come back into lay or not, does she have any bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?
Work on hydration and see that her crop is emptying. Getting a fecal float to rule out worms is always a good idea. Once she's drinking, then offer some wet feed to see if you can entice her to eat.
Hard to say what's happening with her, there's so many things that affect laying hens.

Have you looked deep into her throat? Please do. Wrap her in a towel to confine wings and feet and have a helper hold her. Then get a flashlight and pry open her mouth wide, it won't hurt her, and look into her throat.

Note the color, if there is any crusty stuff that looks like old food, or even worms in the throat.

She's probably weak from hunger. First thing to do is give her some sugar water to drink, one teaspoon to a cup of warm water. If you have Poultry Nutri-drench put a squirt of it into her water. Then offer soft boiled egg.

What I strongly suggest is to gather a poop sample and call a vet and ask if they can run a fecal float to determine if worms are present or coccidia. If the vet says no, call another vet, and keep calling until you find one that will do it and not insist on seeing the chicken. Promise them you will assume responsibility for treatment. It's not expensive.

How old is she? When did she last lay?

I'm not sure this will make a difference, but have you tried wetting the food, making it into a mash? Sometimes that gets their interest. You could also try a scrambled egg.
How long have they been on the layer pellets, is it a new feed?

How does her crop look and feel? Full, hard, squishy (be gentle when feeling the crop)? Does her breath have an odor?
She’s 5-6 years old barley lays eggs haven’t noticed her lay eggs this year. I tried wetting food but she does not eat it. Her crop seems normal. Just felt empty at the begging after she started eating the bananas the only thing she’ll eat it got more full. Yesterday she ate beef and little of her mixture of layer pellets turmeric and brown rice.

It's the same in my town and the town over the pass. It's small town rural and the three vets all have their hands full with horses and cows. I had no problem convincing my vet to do a fecal float each time I've needed one. Cost about $20. They just need to know we aren't going to burden them with a sick chicken.

I am not suggesting you take your chicken to a vet, although it is an option if you choose. You may decide to forego the fecal float test, but it makes it much more difficult to guess what's going on. The fecal float may not show parasites in the poop, but it will then rule those out and let us move on to other possibilities.

All vets do perform fecal float tests in their offices. It's a simple test with results in an hour, and it shouldn't cost more than $20-30. You just need to find one who will do it without demanding to also see the chicken.

The fecal float test on a fresh poop sample from your sick hen may contain worms or other parasites. The test can not only tell if worms are present, but it can tell what species so we can target them with the correct worm med. The test can also tell if coccidia are present. That's even more serious than worms, but both worms and coccidia are easily treated if we know what we're dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom