What is going on?

Hillywu

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Indiana, PA
So, I have several chickens who are having a watery discharge from their nose. It's not constant. Just occasional. Nothing else is going on. No swollen face, wheezing, coughing, still eating and drinking with great enthusiasm and showing a normal energy level. I first noticed this last week with two chickens. I immediately separated them. Just notice two more today. One showing a "dirty" looking nose (Looks like the nostrils were wet and got dirty) and one having a small bubble from the nostril. What should I do to treat this? Does it need treated? Would they have gotten worse (the ones that have been separated since last week) by now if it were something to worry about? I'm not against medicating, but I don't want to medicate if it's not necessary. Any advice is much appreciated. This is our first year with chickens and I'm still learning when I need to panic and when I don't.
roll.png

Don't panic. Quarantine was a great idea for those showing symptoms. I have some questions though you mentioned it was the only symptom, perhaps something has changed. How is their breathing? Does it sound rattly? How are their eyes? There are many illnesses that have that symptom and I'm just trying to get all of the facts so that someone can help you figure it out. I hope it's nothing serious.

Thank you for responding! Their eyes are fine. There is absolutely nothing else going on. Breathing is good. I watched for open mouth breathing, gasping, rattling, wheezing, coughing, etc. (I think my kids think I'm nuts just standing there watching the two chickens in the "chicken hospital"). Like I said, it was over a week ago now that the little bantam cochin had the discharge. I'm not even seeing it with her now. It was clear and watery. I'm so perplexed by this and have driven myself crazy trying to figure out what to do. We are good with having a closed flock, so I'm not concerned with bringing new ones in, etc. I don't want to cull. They have become pets to us, as well as our egg supply
yippiechickie.gif
. They truly have not shown a drop in energy or weight. They dive into their food with the same amount of gusto as they always have and they're drinking plenty. I am frustrated with not knowing what to do. For every post you read that says one thing, there's something that says the opposite. We live in a small area, so there's not access to an avian vet. (You would think someone would be, but it's either cats/dogs or cows/horses. No happy medium!)

Anyway, like I said, I don't want to medicate unless necessary. We've had them on a diet of soy-free organic feed from Countryside, wanting to be careful about what they consume (and what we consume with the eggs!). I am not, however, opposed to medicating if necessary. I went out and bought Tylan 50 and syringes, but haven't administered yet. I was waiting until I could get a better handle on things. Gah! So frustrated right now and REALLY appreciate any advice. Trust me, I have been googling away and looking at post after post!

THANK YOU!

Thank you for responding! Their eyes are fine. There is absolutely nothing else going on. Breathing is good. I watched for open mouth breathing, gasping, rattling, wheezing, coughing, etc. (I think my kids think I'm nuts just standing there watching the two chickens in the "chicken hospital"). Like I said, it was over a week ago now that the little bantam cochin had the discharge. I'm not even seeing it with her now. It was clear and watery. I'm so perplexed by this and have driven myself crazy trying to figure out what to do. We are good with having a closed flock, so I'm not concerned with bringing new ones in, etc. I don't want to cull. They have become pets to us, as well as our egg supply
yippiechickie.gif
. They truly have not shown a drop in energy or weight. They dive into their food with the same amount of gusto as they always have and they're drinking plenty. I am frustrated with not knowing what to do. For every post you read that says one thing, there's something that says the opposite. We live in a small area, so there's not access to an avian vet. (You would think someone would be, but it's either cats/dogs or cows/horses. No happy medium!)

Anyway, like I said, I don't want to medicate unless necessary. We've had them on a diet of soy-free organic feed from Countryside, wanting to be careful about what they consume (and what we consume with the eggs!). I am not, however, opposed to medicating if necessary. I went out and bought Tylan 50 and syringes, but haven't administered yet. I was waiting until I could get a better handle on things. Gah! So frustrated right now and REALLY appreciate any advice. Trust me, I have been googling away and looking at post after post!

THANK YOU!
What kind of bedding are they on? Is it possible that they are responding to dust in the bedding? I've had chicks sneeze and sniffle from dust when they spent the day digging to China in their brooder looking for the last crumb of food they'd spilled and they were not sick at all. If they don't seem sick and the first one seems better and never developed any additional symptoms I'd just continue to quarantine them for a while and watch them carefully for any changes in their condition. I'm not a vet, so I can't say for sure though. I'm in a situation without an avian vet in the area too and I adore my chickens so I completely understand where you're coming from. Personally, I would not administer meds, but that's just me. Sometimes you have to go with your gut after doing all the research.... I really hope everything turns out okay. Keep us posted!
hugs.gif

Thank you so much. We do have pine shavings in the coop. They are the flakes, but they can be dusty. I did wonder if that might be the problem. They are on straw in the "chicken hospital".
lol.png
I may try cleaning out the coop and switching them to that to see if it helps. Thanks again! I don't think I'm going to medicate yet. If I do anything at this point it might be to try and add some GSE to their water.

Thank you so much. We do have pine shavings in the coop. They are the flakes, but they can be dusty. I did wonder if that might be the problem. They are on straw in the "chicken hospital".
lol.png
I may try cleaning out the coop and switching them to that to see if it helps. Thanks again! I don't think I'm going to medicate yet. If I do anything at this point it might be to try and add some GSE to their water.
Even the best shavings that we can get locally can be a bit dusty so I hear you! Good ventilation helps a lot. I really hope that it was just the dust.
fl.gif

I use oxine in all the chicken's waterers. A few drops in a quart or about 12 drops per gallon does the trick. It prevents that slime from growing on the plastic and will help prevent illness (if any!) from spreading from one chicken to another through the water. There are lots of good threads on it and some good info on the internet too. I don't sell it and have nothing to gain by suggesting it, fwiw. I just love how clean everything stays! I'm a little nutty about clean water.
wink.png

It's also an excellent disinfectant and can be used with a fogger if your birds are having respiratory issues. I've read that it will help clear some of those things up though I've never used it for that purpose. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom