What is happening to my chicken's feathers?

KRS57

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2021
Sacramento, CA
My chickens pictured are about 1.5 years old. They have been having feather issues for about 4 months. The Rhode Island Red has it the worst. It looks like her feathers have been pulled out. I had two roosters which I removed because I though that could be this issue. The roosters have been gone for ~1 month and the Red has been getting worst after their removal. My other hens with feather issues are not as bad as the Red. I have inspected the feathers closely and do not see mites or lice (at least I think); the Buf pictured does have a lot of specks in her feathers, but it looks like dirt and none of the other chickens have this what what I can tell. Also, around the same time this issue started, I did introduce chicks about 2-3 months old to the flock. The chicks have never had any issues with their feathers. The chickens have been on a high protein diet for ~4 months. They have a large run and occasionally are let out to free range before sunset. Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7282.PNG
    IMG_7282.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.22.15 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.22.15 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.21.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.21.58 PM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.21.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.21.40 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.21.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.21.27 PM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.20.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.20.26 PM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.20.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.20.18 PM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.20.08 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.20.08 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.19.59 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.19.59 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.19.42 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.19.42 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
Have treated them for mites?
What is their diet?
No because I did not think it was mites. What do you recommend for treatment and how?

Their diet is Scratch and Peck Feeds and Dumor Chick Starter/Grower. Before the Dumor Chick Starter/Grower they were getting Country Life Organic Poultry Feed in addition to the Scratch and Peck Feeds.

No because I did not think it was mites. What do you recommend for treatment and how?

Their diet is Scratch and Peck Feeds and Dumor Chick Starter/Grower. Before the Dumor Chick Starter/Grower they were getting Country Life Organic Poultry Feed in addition to the Scratch and Peck Feeds.
Depending on the mites, you can use a permethrine based dust or spray, clean put your whole coop, apply the product to all cracks and crannies, dust your birds then get all new bedding and litter.
If it's de plumbing mites, you're hoping to need ivermectin but I'd try the permethrine first

Depending on the mites, you can use a permethrine based dust or spray, clean put your whole coop, apply the product to all cracks and crannies, dust your birds then get all new bedding and litter.
If it's de plumbing mites, you're hoping to need ivermectin but I'd try the permethrine first
Thank you! For the Permethrin dust. It only contains 0.25% of Permethrin from what I see online. Does that sound right? Do you just spray or apply the dust to each chicken?

Thank you! For the Permethrin dust. It only contains 0.25% of Permethrin from what I see online. Does that sound right? Do you just spray or apply the dust to each chicken?
Yes, it's usually diluted. You can fill a sock with dust and 'bop' the chickens with it.
There is a product called poultry dust thst you can use

Also, around the same time this issue started, I did introduce chicks about 2-3 months old to the flock. The chicks have never had any issues with their feathers. The chickens have been on a high protein diet for ~4 months. They have a large run and occasionally are let out to free range before sunset. Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Damage is from mating and plucking.
The hen with the loss on her neck is being plucked - likely from a neighbor during roosting.

The issue didn't start until you introduced new birds - how much space do they have in Sq Ft - coop and run?
Changes within the flock can be stressful and birds often feel they need to compete for food when newbies arrive.
Make sure to provide several feed stations to spread the birds out.

Is the Scratch and Peck a loose feed - meaning it has whole grains or is it pelleted? Often if you feed a loose type feed, birds will pick out only the good things they like and leave the rest this causes for an incomplete diet - the feed as a "whole" including the powder is "complete" - fermenting or soaking feeds is one way to encourage them to eat all of it instead of just picking through it.

I don't really see anything that looks like mites/lice, but if you feel they need it, give them all a good dusting of the permethrin.

Back
Top Bottom