What is it?!

EggresiveAli

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 3, 2013
Scotland
Hi guys,

my smallest chicken was very badly hen pecked last year - no blood, just bald bums LOL. I've been ill recently and my mum has been looking after the girls. I am feeling slightly better but when i went to give the girls corn on the cob, her bum looked spotty with feathers. YAY. But the feathers have little cheese like things on the end. Apart from that shes happy and fine. Any ideas or am i overreacting.

thanks

there are many things this could be. mites, worms, pecking parasites or just that theyve had a dust bath, get it checked out at the vets

Hi guys,

my smallest chicken was very badly hen pecked last year - no blood, just bald bums LOL. I've been ill recently and my mum has been looking after the girls. I am feeling slightly better but when i went to give the girls corn on the cob, her bum looked spotty with feathers. YAY. But the feathers have little cheese like things on the end. Apart from that shes happy and fine. Any ideas or am i overreacting.

thanks
Cheese like things on feather shafts? That would be lice eggs, if that's what it is. You can visually see lice crawling on chickens. Some people have used coconut oil purchased from a grocery store to remove lice eggs. I know it's difficult in your country to acquire chemical products in stores without a vet visit. Give her a warm bath using dish detergent to kill the lice. Clean out the coop/nests thoroughly and spray bleachwater inside coop and nests, get it into cracks and crevices. Visually inspect your other birds for lice as well.

Last edited:
Thanks, my local store, Pets at Home sells load of chicken things. I live in a small village in the country and quite a lot of people have chooks. Chickens are becoming VERY common here. It's definitely not lice eggs as we treating her for life.

Back
Top Bottom