What is one thing you figured out about chickens that you wish you knew when you began?

I'm talking about chicken diseases that are spread from bird to bird.
If you spend a bit of time in the emergency section here on the website you'll see how easily people infect their flock by bringing in outside birds.
Oh yes, we're very careful about that, too, any new hatchlings are always kept in their own group until they're grown so we can make sure nobody is sick before they join the rest and get to experience a new pecking order (which is always a pain x.x)

Here would be my go-to list. I keep all of these on hand.

The list is from most important to least important.

1.) Liquid Corid (This is for the treatment of coccidiosis)
2.) Vetericyn, neosporin with NO pain killer, and or honey (Vetericyn and ORIGINAL neosporin are both for wound care. Vetericyn is more of an antibacterial spray. ORIGINAL neosporin is more of an antibacterial cream. Honey is optional here, it helps wound recover, but is not as great on large wounds, only for small scrapes, its also bad because it attracts flies).
3.) Valbezen, Safeguard, etc. (Safeguard and Valbezen are both chicken dewormers. They may say "for goats, sheep, cattle," but they are used for chickens off label).
4.) Vaseline/petroleum jelly (Treatment for scaly leg mites)
5.) Tweezers (for picking off maggots from a bird with flystrike).
6.) Monistat 7 (This is an anti fungal treatment for sour crop).
7.) Coconut oil (For cooking for chickens and for impacted crop).
8.) Dog crate and dog pads (This is for separating sick birds).
9.) Extra syringes (To give medications orally with).
10.) Rooster booster, save-a-chick electrolytes, etc. (Immune booster/supplement).
11.) Towels, blow dryer, scissors, etc. (For washing birds).
I guess my question is- washing the birds? My mother literally washes everything but I've never seen her clean a chicken except in the kitchen with sharp implements! Do they need baths sometimes or is this a show chicken thing?

I guess my question is- washing the birds? My mother literally washes everything but I've never seen her clean a chicken except in the kitchen with sharp implements! Do they need baths sometimes or is this a show chicken thing?
I only wash them if they have issues. Like flystrike, which is when they get infested with maggots.

Sometimes I will wash poop off, But I found cutting a few feathers off near the vent easier. Its important to clean the poop to prevent flystrike in the first place.

Here would be my go-to list. I keep all of these on hand.

The list is from most important to least important.

1.) Liquid Corid (This is for the treatment of coccidiosis)
2.) Vetericyn, neosporin with NO pain killer, and or honey (Vetericyn and ORIGINAL neosporin are both for wound care. Vetericyn is more of an antibacterial spray. ORIGINAL neosporin is more of an antibacterial cream. Honey is optional here, it helps wound recover, but is not as great on large wounds, only for small scrapes, its also bad because it attracts flies).
3.) Valbezen, Safeguard, etc. (Safeguard and Valbezen are both chicken dewormers. They may say "for goats, sheep, cattle," but they are used for chickens off label).
4.) Vaseline/petroleum jelly (Treatment for scaly leg mites)
5.) Tweezers (for picking off maggots from a bird with flystrike).
6.) Monistat 7 (This is an anti fungal treatment for sour crop).
7.) Coconut oil (For cooking for chickens and for impacted crop).
8.) Dog crate and dog pads (This is for separating sick birds).
9.) Extra syringes (To give medications orally with).
10.) Rooster booster, save-a-chick electrolytes, etc. (Immune booster/supplement).
11.) Towels, blow dryer, scissors, etc. (For washing birds).
We do have a shallow ditch line running along the barn that goes under the large, tin-roof cage on the side (for separation and weather protection) that we put water in when it's hot and dry because they like to splash and run through it, it just never occurred to me that a creature who literally bathes in dirt (lol) might need a shampooing once in a while

Back
Top Bottom