What is semi-formal attire?

I despise dressing up.

In my neck of the woods, semi-formal is in-between a suit and cutoffs and flip-flops. I've been to some semi-formal events on the ritzy side of town where everyone is wearing suit pants, dress shirts and ties. Events held in more rural areas of my county sport khaki's or nice jeans, polo shirts and loafers.

I think it varies by location. Here in Texas (ok south Texas), semi formal almost always means starched black jeans, boots, sport coat, hat.

People still wear pantyhose?

A suggestion for you

If these kinds of events are not something you attend regularly and spending good money on an outfit is tough.

Try a thrift store. Formal/Semi formal wear items are easy to find there and typically have very little use before they get donated. I have found several nice mens dress shirts, with tags still on for $2-5-Pants check that they have not been tailored to fit, but those are pretty easy too.

I mean who can attend a royal wedding in the same outfit as the other royal events that they have attended all year...lol

Quote:
So I called the school and asked what they considered semi formal and she said my husband would be just fine with his best jeans and vest!! They would rather I save my money for the auction than spend it on new clothes!! Woohoo just saved me from one not so fun shopping trip. I will still use the excuse to go shopping for myself though!!! Not only do I know chicken math I have a real knack for clothes and shoes math!!!

Thanks everyone for all the great advice! It was much appreciated!

Quote:
How's the economy in NC? Thinking I just might like it there!! Although whenever I wash any of my vehicles it either snows or rains!!! Not that I mind the moisture but when you live on a dirt road it kinda kills the whole car wash thing!

Quote:
Very well said!! That is how I feel but and it's a big BUT.....this function is for both my DD's school. They have an auction every year to raise money to help with expenses and I feel it is very important to go so I must force myself just this once to dress up nice. Trust me as soon as I get home the comfy pants are going back on!!!!

If they fit properly, dress slacks should be just as comfortable as any others you own. Too many folks (dh included) try to stuff themselves into clothing where the waistband is too tight. Not only is that uncomfortable, but it looks bad. Many dress slacks have adjustable or slightly stretchable waists. Natural material is usually more comfortable, although some of the newer polyesters are breathable. I still don't care for them, though.

Back
Top Bottom