What IS that thing, anyway?

Snagg

Hatching
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Simple Question -

On the thigh of every chicken I've ever cooked, there's a little pocket behind the main bone, and there's a little spongey blob of something in there that scoops right out - it's kinda mealy, and I've never felt the urge to eat it, but my dogs sit next to me and drool pathetically when they see me scraping it out, and I always toss it to 'em. (Actually, they sit there and drool pathetically whenever there's any kind of chicken on the table. Whatever...)

Anyway, it's usually about the size of a Bic pen cap, and I just got to wondering if it has a name. I've only seen it cooked, as I've never been curious enough to strip away the raw meat and examine it for clues. No Big Deal. If anybody knows the answer, I'd appreciate it.....

Thanks,
Dave H

Last edited:
If it's on the inside of the body cavity, I think it's the kidney. If it is on the outside, and is the same color as the thigh meat, it's muscle, and one of my favorite parts.

Maybe I'm weird, but if it looks like meat and it's on the bones, I probably already ate it. I'm a fan of picking things off bones more so than gobbling down big chunks of meat.

They used to call them the boffos. I don't know if that is an Indian word or a Spanish word. I suspect it is the kidneys.

The dog and cats get that in our family.

On the flip side of that bone is a part called the oyster. That is really good to eat.

Rufus

I always eat them. My grandpa always called them the "light's". I see them when I clean a bird. I may be wrong, but I think they are the lungs. When they are fresh thay are pink and spongy and when you cut one open it's very porous. The kidneys usually come out attached to the lower intestines.

If you are talking about right in the back bone and spongey it sounds like the lungs. If it is lower at the thigh it could be the kidneys.

Back
Top Bottom