What is the BEST CHICKEN BREED?

How about mottled houdans? Here is one of mine:

I too am in Australia. Guess what, we DON'T have hatcheries like you do in the US! So we can't order all these rare breed chicks over the internet like you guys can. If I want anything other than an ISA-brown, I have to find a hobby chicken breeder and go to them, as they are the only ones in Australia who are trying to preserve the heritage breeds.

Brahmas! My personal favorite. They are large, laid back, and generally friendly. If you want a striking color, get a partridge roo.

yeah over here you have to track down breeders for a better quality I have used hatcheries for everal breeds but I don't like using them for rare breeds they always come out... shady
hu.gif

I have heard a lot of good things about Brahmas too. Those mottled houdans are adorable and funny looking at the same time! Wow, these are awesome chickens that I would never have thought of.

I wanted a lot of fun color in my birds and in my egg basket (when they get old enough), I also don't know which types I will like best, so I'm trying a bunch! I have all LF, they are salmon favs, colombian wyandotte (getting BLR eggs soon), EE's, crested cream legbar, BR, gold laced brahma, in lockdown with a couple of mutts and lavender Ams and Orps, just set some swedish flower hen eggs a couple of days ago, and will be getting BBS copper marans eggs, black/lav split ams eggs and BBS orp eggs in the next 2 weeks to set! Really loving my favs, my legbar, and my brahmas best so far. The favs are so funny to watch, and so goofy (we ended up naming them after fruit), the legbar is so sassy (friend named her Sassafras, since we promised to let her name one of the chicks), and the brahmas are just nice to watch move, they have a stoic and graceful way about them.

Back
Top Bottom