what is the best feed??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pidgey104, Jan 11, 2010.

1. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    what is the best feed? I use HMC but it seem really dusty, and HMR that I will get that smells great.. What brand works great for yours. with better feathers and etc.. plus what can I use for my silkies all are skinny... can't figure out why I Thought they were wormy so I have wormed them but they still are not putting on any weight.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I use Purina Layer Pellets. I like the crumbles too.

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

We only use Homestead Feeds from Hubbard Feeds and have had GREAT success with their entire line of feeds.

Jim

4. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    I love Purina Flock Raiser. It has a good protein amount, their poop is less smelly and they love it. But since it doesn't have calcium in it I put out a tin with oyster shell and grit and their egg shells are nice and hard.

Mary

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I use Dumor and supplement heavily with greens. I have always given mine tons of raw greens even when they were a week old. They looked like meaties at 4 months and began laying then too. I cannot say one way or the other about Dumor though since I have not used anything else. I am a beginner and have been blessed with a fat, productive flock that are laying like gangbusters right now in this cold snap. I do not even use artificial lighting of any kind. Mine only get 10 hrs light a day.

They also get lots of sweet potatoes and carrots with all of their greens. Leftover beans and pasta too. About 4 cups scratch a day for the 24 chooks I have. (20-22 eggs daily, every day)

6. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    Purina laying crumbles [​IMG][​IMG]

7. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Blue Seal Layer pellets plus I give a little bit of corn and BOSS at night before lights out.

8. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I only ahve one feed store that sales the Purina I think it like $11 a bag though..

9. spammy

spammy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Prince 50 lbs 11.00

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by