What is the best hardware cloth gauge ??

After a coon tore through the 19 gauge hardware cloth that I used to cover a window opening. h
Did the coon tear the actual wire, or tear the wire away from the window? Tearing the wire itself is a wire failure, but tearing the wire away from the wood is a fastener failure.

I have always thought it would be nicer to use the smaller 1/4" openings, but have not wanted to go down to the 19 gauge, thinner wire.

After a coon tore through the 19 gauge hardware cloth that I used to cover a window opening. Then killed 15 of the young chickens that I had hatched from very expensive shipped eggs. I have switched over to using 1/2 inch by 1 inch welded wire. I got mine from Rural King.

I'm wondering the same as I was looking at hardware cloth today and it seems pretty sturdy. Was the "cloth" torn out of the fasteners?

I used the panels from a dog run, the heavy chain link fence, then I layer, covered with chicken wire. I skirted the ground as well, two feet back and now it has grown in with all the grass, you cant even see it.

We don't have those here either. Orschelan's , Feldman's, Tractor Supply, and some individually owned ones (2 which I will try to get to this week). Menards which is similar to home depot with sometimes more selection and cheaper prices.

16 guage nylon coated from fencerwire. They have 1/2" square in 100 ft length or 3"×1/2" in 50 ft length. We have both and no problems.

Jeria:

Try MFA. Ours stocks 1/2" x 1" 14 gauge welded wire. Nothing is getting past that stuff. Sold by the foot in either 24" or 36" widths. To those in other regions, you are looking for local or regional farm supply stores that sell fencing products to farmers.

Also, MFA's Herdsman brand electric fence stuff is mostly rebranded Parmak products made in KC.

Back
Top Bottom