What is the best hardware cloth gauge ??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jeria, May 18, 2017.

1. jeria

jeria Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2017
    Independence MO
    I'm planning and researching materials for a coop and run that will be built later this summer. Hardware cloth comes in varying gauges. With nasty coons, some fox, and an overzealous 60+ pound playful pup what would you use? The heaviest I've found so far is 19 gauge.

2. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    IMG_0674.JPG That's the lowest I've found in HC too. If you want something heavier you have to start looking at welded wire, but that has a bigger "mesh" pattern. Although it's expensive, a lot of people put a layer of welded wire over a layer of HC for extra security.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    19 gauge is all I've ever seen in stores. But the fellow who helped us build our coop is a retired contractor and he bought ours thru an independent local supplier who ordered a stronger gauge - it is a lot stronger and not as flexible, but really pricey and difficult to cut and work with.

4. jeria

May 5, 2017
    Independence MO
    I'm also considering welded wire with hardware cloth around the bottom and a skirt. I have welded wire on my garden fences and it is very stiff and hard to work with. Have to buy new fence cutters after putting the garden ones up to keep the pups out, my old ones are a mess.

5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Make sure you wear long gloves :)

We have really hard clay here, added dirt on top of the skirting, tamped that down. Added really heavy stones over that. If anything tries to dig in, for sure they couldn't do it in only a day - and daily monitoring of the area will show you if anything is trying to get in.

6. blackdog043

blackdog043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2017
    Denver, NC
    19 gauge, is normally used. Check Walmart.com and Amazon for the best prices. A 4 inch grinder, works great for cutting both types of wire.

sunflour likes this.
  7. jeria

May 5, 2017
    Independence MO
    A grinder for cutting? How does that work? Wouldn't that also leave sharp metal shavings everywhere?

I didn't think about checking Walmart.com. I know it's not in the stores here. I've been out on Amazon just pricing as I am planning a budget as well as the design and materials.

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply sell the 19 gauge hw cloth.

9. blackdog043

blackdog043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2017
    Denver, NC
    The shavings from using a grinder is more like dust. You should not have big enough pieces, to worry about.

10. Finnie

Finnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2014
    Indianapolis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by