What is the best hardware cloth gauge ??

jeria

Songster
May 5, 2017
Independence MO
I'm planning and researching materials for a coop and run that will be built later this summer. Hardware cloth comes in varying gauges. With nasty coons, some fox, and an overzealous 60+ pound playful pup what would you use? The heaviest I've found so far is 19 gauge.

IMG_0674.JPG
That's the lowest I've found in HC too. If you want something heavier you have to start looking at welded wire, but that has a bigger "mesh" pattern. Although it's expensive, a lot of people put a layer of welded wire over a layer of HC for extra security.

19 gauge is all I've ever seen in stores. But the fellow who helped us build our coop is a retired contractor and he bought ours thru an independent local supplier who ordered a stronger gauge - it is a lot stronger and not as flexible, but really pricey and difficult to cut and work with.

I'm also considering welded wire with hardware cloth around the bottom and a skirt. I have welded wire on my garden fences and it is very stiff and hard to work with. Have to buy new fence cutters after putting the garden ones up to keep the pups out, my old ones are a mess.

I'm also considering welded wire with hardware cloth around the bottom and a skirt. I have welded wire on my garden fences and it is very stiff and hard to work with. Have to buy new fence cutters after putting the garden ones up to keep the pups out, my old ones are a mess.

Make sure you wear long gloves :)

We have really hard clay here, added dirt on top of the skirting, tamped that down. Added really heavy stones over that. If anything tries to dig in, for sure they couldn't do it in only a day - and daily monitoring of the area will show you if anything is trying to get in.

A grinder for cutting? How does that work? Wouldn't that also leave sharp metal shavings everywhere?

I didn't think about checking Walmart.com. I know it's not in the stores here. I've been out on Amazon just pricing as I am planning a budget as well as the design and materials.

Back
Top Bottom