What is the best hatchery?

I've ordered twice from Murray McMurray. Have gotten exactly the sex I asked for each time. Was rather surprised as I order 25 birds each time and the chick sexers are only accurate 90% of the time. Expected to get a couple cockerels but didn't. The birds were all healthy. You can decide whether you want their free mystery chick or not. The mystery chick is most often a male.

Thanks everyone for the detailed responses.

I guess what I meant by quality is just that I want to make sure Im getting "sturdy" birds.....if that makes sense?:confused:
To be sure Ill be getting exactly what I ordered (as far as sex goes) and that they will grow to be full size, robust birds.

Again, thank you to everyone I appreciate the advice.
ive never had a problem with the correct sex from any hatchery, so i would not worry about that at all...! i ordered from my pet chicken some Colombian wyandotts , they arrived in not the best condition but i gave them some green gro gel and they came around fine i didnt loose a one, and the quality of the breed was was excellent, and even now today look to me to be show quality ..! but the way they arrived concerned me , so i never ordered from them ever again , but i have used cackle a few times & the chicks were in top condition upon arrival and today some look to be show quality &just beautiful birds , so after they arrived and they all had a drink, they were all just ready to go, so i have to say the one difference buying from cackle was they shipped my chicks with that green grow gel in the box with them so they some nutrition all along in transit and arrive in great condition , the green gro gel is a life saver so , i order extra packs of it when i expect an order of chicks ..! you can buy it from the hatchery usually & i found this link in case you were interested..
Grogel Plus B Gro Gel Plus B 7 Grams (100 Chick Size) For Chicks
$5.50 from eBay
Hatching season is upon us, so be sure you get those babies off to a good start

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about a hatchery not sexing their chicks, the one's that do sex thousands of chicks and are very good at it.
The problem is with the hatcheries that feel the need to throw in a few 'packing peanuts'. Supposedly they do this to keep them all warm and better the survival rate in transit. Problem is if you do not want them and have a hard time getting rid of them and they are almost always cockerels (leghorn or sexlink cockerels typically).
Benefit I guess is if you don't care you might get some rare breeds and they are free. I actually got two cockerels and three pullets of Red Sussex from Sandhill as free packing peanuts cause they couldn't complete my order of the breeds I wanted (they do not sex chicks).
Meyer once I got a couple Polish cockerels and a Dark Cornish pullet.
Last time I ordered 15 naked necks from Cackle and I got one Barnevelder cockerel, beautiful bird, but I didn't need or want it...
My brother ended up with three white Leghorn cockerel packing peanuts from Murray Mcmurray, he was hoping they were cornishX. I told him I didn't think they would get rid of cornishx for free, as they got bigger, 'dude look at those combs! you got leghorns ha ha!'

Back
Top Bottom