1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is the best hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy frenz, Apr 10, 2007.

1. jeremy frenz

jeremy frenz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    portland OR
    what is the best hen for laying eggs?

2. Orpingtonlover

Orpingtonlover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    Hey My name is Ashley the 2 breeds i would strongly Recommend to you for egg production would be White Leghorn and Rhode Island reds

3. Kimblee

Kimblee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    I don't know much about it... but our production red lays very tasty eggs.

4. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    IMO Rhode Island Reds and Leghorns are hard to beat for egg laying. Barred Rocks are also good.

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Our Wyandottes each lay 5 or 6 eggs a week. We have a Golden Laced, a Silver Laced, a Columbian and a White.

6. shemarie

shemarie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2007
    Topeka, KS
    I have an orpington, a brown leghorn, and an Americauna and they all do a great job.....I get 5-6 from all of them each week.

7. chickens^^

chickens^^ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    West Virginia
    Red Stars are classified as the best egg chicken. They lay all year around and lay they do! I have Rhode Island Reds and I highl;y do not recommend them because they do not stay on schedule with their laying, In other words some days (in the summer for 6 hens) they will lay 6 eggs a day other times no eggs in a day.

8. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    The best chicken for egg production is a hybrid that goes by several different names, but is essentially the same thing - ISA brown, Warren, Red Star, Production Red etc. There are also darker coloured chickens, also hybrids, that go by the names of Bovans Nera, Black Star or Production Black. All lay brown eggs.

If you want pure breeds, then your best bet is to go for either a Leghorn (lots of white eggs, but really flighty) or a Rhode Island Red (lots of brown eggs, a bit calmer).

9. teachumusic

teachumusic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2007
    Our leghorn lays every day. She only took a few weeks off in the winter and then back to work. She and her sister, who passed, would have competitions to see who could lay the most double yolk eggs. It was fun to go out and see them compete.

Still, she is our best layer...next is our aracauna who lays 5-6 days a week.

Our hens are all 2 years old.

10. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I agree with the posts above I prefer our brown and white leghorns for white eggs, for brown the RIR's and barred rocks, and black sex-links are very high egg production chickens for us. My preference for eggs are white with a very orange yolk so my leghorns are my favorites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by