What is the best way to dispatch?

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
I don't know where to post this so if this is not allowed here, could someone let me know where to post it? Thanks.

I have too many roosters/cockerels and it's costing too much in food. I need to send some to the stew pot and freezer camp but I haven't found the best way for ME to dispatch them.

I watched some YouTube videos and the only one that made sense to me and looked half way quick and comfortable for the chicken was using a hatchet. Even then I don't know how much pain the brain can still sense. Using a hatchet looks like it would be the fastest but it leaves the brain alive for however long it takes for the blood and oxygen depletion to stop it functioning.

I won't PULL the head off because I know they can feel that and slicing their throats doesn't look painless to me. It looks like they would feel a lot of pain from the air hitting the cut nerve endings in their throats. I don't know if I could do the brain stab, I think that is too up close and personal for me.

I know I am over thinking this and even though I am not as attached to these birds as I am to some others, I just don't want them to feel any pain.

Are there other ways to put them down? Thanks.

Oops, I forgot wringing their necks, that one seems the least efficient to me.

Last edited:
I have been butchering roosters off and on for almost 2 years. I have tried every method you mentioned except the brain stab...never heard of that one. I prefer using the hatchet. Its the quickest in my opinion. I can't guarantee that they feel no pain with any of the methods so the least I can do is make it as quick as possible.

I have been butchering roosters off and on for almost 2 years. I have tried every method you mentioned except the brain stab...never heard of that one. I prefer using the hatchet. Its the quickest in my opinion. I can't guarantee that they feel no pain with any of the methods so the least I can do is make it as quick as possible.

I'm not sure what it is actually called but the video showed putting a knife through the roof of the chickens mouth into it's brain. A printed tutorial showed a photo of the same procedure using a shish kabob skewer into the brain. It didn't look like something that would be as easy as it looks.

There are a number of threads on dispatching birds in the Meat Birds ETC section. They discuss most of the options and methods so you can decide what will work best for you.

Good Luck and Good Eating!

I'm not sure what it is actually called but the video showed putting a knife through the roof of the chickens mouth into it's brain. A printed tutorial showed a photo of the same procedure using a shish kabob skewer into the brain. It didn't look like something that would be as easy as it looks.

The knife through the brain is called 'pithing'
Check out this thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...hrough-the-emotions-please/4920#post_14389058
Posters on there would be more than happy to answer your questions opinions and experiences.

Last edited:
The "best" way to do so is the way that is humane to the animal and which you are most comfortable and least likely to injure yourself using. This means what is best for me and best for you may be different. I like kill cones because they contain the bird, make it easy to contain the mess during bleed out and you are avoiding the issue of maybe not being sure with use of the hatchet method.

The "best" way to do so is the way that is humane to the animal and which you are most comfortable and least likely to injure yourself using. This means what is best for me and best for you may be different. I like kill cones because they contain the bird, make it easy to contain the mess during bleed out and you are avoiding the issue of maybe not being sure with use of the hatchet method.
This.

We do best with either a kill cone or a pellet gun. Obviously the gun's not for everyone, you've got to be a very good shot to hit a target that small. Kill cones are great as they confine the bird and you can then either just slit and let bleed, or completely decapitate.

Agree you should check out the meat bird section, lots of discussion of this there.

But, don't over think it. After all, you are killing a living creature and it's not going to like it. These methods all result in a dead bird, and they're all about the same IME for how much distress they cause the animal. Slaughtering's just not a pretty thing.

Back
Top Bottom