What is the best way to hatch shipped eggs????

Don't count him out yet, I've had them hatch out with air cells like that..actually as a matter of fact...

Woke up to this beauty and it's cell was like that..I've noticed that some like that have trouble getting internally pipped, but this one was fine..and I think the a.c. like that takes up extra space, they have trouble moving at this stage and they like to come early. .
I have 2 more Tolbunts looking like they're gonna join the 1st any minute now but that's it.. 3 out of 18..maybe I'll get lucky and have a roo and 2 hens like I got in my GL chicks.. I was so excited this morning, of course of I was up every 45 mins all night in here peeking and the DH let me sleep in a few minutes so as soon as I was back up I went running in the bathroom to check on them..I should have went to the real bathroom first bc I was so happy when I seen this guy up walking around and talking to me I almost peed right down my leg

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I read the whole thread tonight because I'm getting my first shipped eggs tomorrow and don't know when to put them in. They are not silkies though but a variety :) but I am assuming the process is the same for all shipped eggs... Right? Lol Thank you for this thread :) I also have 9 Cochin eggs approaching lockdown on Sunday and read you use a carton after taking them out of turner. Does it matter styrofoam or cardboard? And why do you cut the bottoms out? Can someone post a pic of one so I know how much to cut out? Thanks :)

Well I just wrote up a reply and it vanished, so if this shows twice ignore one..
But, this is my recommendation. .
as soon as your shipped eggs arrive and reach room temps, stick them in the incubator, do not turn or turn on auto turner until the end of day 3. .
set them upright during hatch (I've tried both and much better success this way)..
I use paper cartons, and I tear them down until it's just basically a circle just enough to support the egg.. I've also used toilet paper/paper towel rolls cut down (think easter egg holder)..those are great if you're short on space as you can put individual eggs wherever. ..

Don't count him out yet, I've had them hatch out with air cells like that..actually as a matter of fact...

Woke up to this beauty and it's cell was like that..I've noticed that some like that have trouble getting internally pipped, but this one was fine..and I think the a.c. like that takes up extra space, they have trouble moving at this stage and they like to come early. .
I have 2 more Tolbunts looking like they're gonna join the 1st any minute now but that's it.. 3 out of 18..maybe I'll get lucky and have a roo and 2 hens like I got in my GL chicks.. I was so excited this morning, of course of I was up every 45 mins all night in here peeking and the DH let me sleep in a few minutes so as soon as I was back up I went running in the bathroom to check on them..I should have went to the real bathroom first bc I was so happy when I seen this guy up walking around and talking to me I almost peed right down my leg
Lol!!! Congrats on the baby! Hatching day is the best! It's like a natural happy high, all day long!! I hope you get 4!! Post pics when you can. I'm going to make a whole in my last egg later today, I'll let you know how it goes!! Happy hatching!!

Lol!!! Congrats on the baby! Hatching day is the best! It's like a natural happy high, all day long!! I hope you get 4!! Post pics when you can. I'm going to make a whole in my last egg later today, I'll let you know how it goes!! Happy hatching!!

Best of luck!! My method: I take a knife and score a teeny line..it will eventually make a small hole. .as soon as it makes that natural hole, I use needle nose tweezers to pull away the shell and outer membrane. .if you make the hole big enough for a qtip, wet one in hot water and wet the inner membrane (it should look like white paper) but that'll show any movement from the chick and how much veining is left..
I'll be checking in (in between staring at my hatcher and trying to control the urge to snatch this baby out and cuddle him in my bra..lol)

Thank you for the reply! Hope you are all happy with your hatches! This is my first, so if I get 1/9 Ill be happy! Of course I'd be happy with 9/9 too lol. Ok I better get to cutting a carton for Sunday and these other eggs ready! Thanks again :D

Sorry it took so long for a picture everyone! It's been a long morning of hiking! One has hatched and is adorable! Nothing else is happening yet no more pips or zips but it's only day 21. I'm still in shock eggs from Illinois that were shipped to Maine are hatching! I purchased 18 for $25 on ebay when they arrived all were perfect and there was 21 eggs! On day 10 I took out the duds which left me with 16. I don't candle after day 10 so idk how many will hatch! I'm super happy one made it though!

Best of luck!! My method: I take a knife and score a teeny line..it will eventually make a small hole. .as soon as it makes that natural hole, I use needle nose tweezers to pull away the shell and outer membrane. .if you make the hole big enough for a qtip, wet one in hot water and wet the inner membrane (it should look like white paper) but that'll show any movement from the chick and how much veining is left..
I'll be checking in (in between staring at my hatcher and trying to control the urge to snatch this baby out and cuddle him in my bra..lol)
OMG!!! You are too funny! I just had a chick in my bra and I thought I was nuts!! Good to know I'm not the only one!!! ;) I'm going do what you suggested when my son gets home from school. I'll update tonight! Enjoy watching, soon enough you'll be snuggling a little fluffy!

Sorry it took so long for a picture everyone! It's been a long morning of hiking! One has hatched and is adorable! Nothing else is happening yet no more pips or zips but it's only day 21. I'm still in shock eggs from Illinois that were shipped to Maine are hatching! I purchased 18 for $25 on ebay when they arrived all were perfect and there was 21 eggs! On day 10 I took out the duds which left me with 16. I don't candle after day 10 so idk how many will hatch! I'm super happy one made it though!
Congratulations! It's so exciting!!

OMG!!! You are too funny! I just had a chick in my bra and I thought I was nuts!! Good to know I'm not the only one!!!
wink.png
I'm going do what you suggested when my son gets home from school. I'll update tonight! Enjoy watching, soon enough you'll be snuggling a little fluffy!
This is the cutest chick ever!!! I love it. So I finally candled mine 12 silkies that were shipped, day 5 of incubation. I had them on their sides in my brinsea with manual turning. I didn't turn them the first 24 hours. Anyway, day 5: I had one dud (blood ring) and about 5 with detached air sacs. So I took the advice from here and set them in an egg carton last night. Let's hope that helps! How long should I wait to check again to see if the air cell reattached?

on a side note - I locked down 11 local eggs, half polish and half Dominique. Wow, they look awesome. they were my first batch of local eggs as there isn't really many sources around here for hatching eggs. Let's hope for some chicks by Saturday!!!

Back
Top Bottom