What is the cause? I'm a terrible duck mom :(

NorthernChick1

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
Ontario, Canada
20190325_164522.jpg
20190325_164327.jpg
I was wondering if anyone new the cause of my muscovies eyes to be this way. would it be caused by chicken pecking? when im outside with them i see that the chickens are interested in pecking her face. I had her in the house for three weeks during the cold spell but since ive brought her back theyve been pecking her....

Little story.
next month will mark a year since ive been raising ducks and chickens. I had two ducks and almost a dozen chickens.
This winter was super harsh and there were a couple things that i should of done to better keep the heat ( insulate roof). one of my two muscovies died of an unknown reason. she loss an i credible amount of weight and looked rough but her feet were ok and she didnt get picked on by any chicken.
My current muscovy had frostbitten feet so i kept her inside the house for 3 weeks. its been pretty nice ranging from -10C to +5 and colder during the nights so last week i put her back in the coop with the chickens shes started to lay again and her feet are doing really good. but look at her poor face :( i was going to go get two more muscovies so she can have someone of her own flock and not be an outcast but i feel as iff im not doing a good job with ducks as it feels as iff theres always an isue after another... I love her and i wish to keep raising them. Note : they house with my chickens.

Last edited:
Were you planning on posting pictures to show what is going on? I hope some of the more experienced members will chime in giving advice. Chickens are definitely drawn to wounds and love to peck at injuries as I have encountered myself, so it makes sense that they would target your poor duck. Separation sounds wise, especially if the eyesight of the duck is in danger. Hoping for the best!

sorry i just did! theres no open wound, fresh OR dry blood or anything like that so im a little confused and shes been back with them for a little over a week now so i feel like i would of noticed when it freshly happened... bith eyes are crusty but ones worse. almost like a crust built over her eye it seems thick
Were you planning on posting pictures to show what is going on? I hope some of the more experienced members will chime in giving advice. Chickens are definitely drawn to wounds and love to peck at injuries as I have encountered myself, so it makes sense that they would target your poor duck. Separation sounds wise, especially if the eyesight of the duck is in danger. Hoping for the best!

There are no pictures in this thread. I'm not sure if you meant to put them, but we need them.

What do you feed them?

How big is the coop? How big is the run?
they are free ranging right now but only spend the afternoon because its still quite cold here in ontario. the coop is about 8x9 feet but i had two ducks with 10 chickens and they were fine all winter. (curently have one duck with 8 chickens)

My duck(s) never been touched by my chickens until i lost one.
I was suposed to get two more muscovies in a few weeks.
Do you think i should get them sooner?
would that intimidate my chickens and perhaps leave them alone?
just throwing things out there.
Like i said the chickens never touched the ducks until there was only one left on the coop.

I'm not sure that's an injury, it looks more like some kind of crust. See if warm water will wash it off.

i agree the more i look at everything the more i beleive it could be an infection of some sort because the rest of her face and body is fine.
if it were a chicken beating i beleive her eyes would be wounded as well.

Back
Top Bottom