What is the deal with FG diatomaceous earth? Studies/articles please? Safety?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickadooo, Sep 18, 2018.

1. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    My dogs are raw fed so they do in fact get blood tested and fecals done. Always clean. I personally take studies with a grain of salt because if it's working for some, then the studies are not 100%. There are a lot of people that use DE as a preventative--maybe doing some studies on those would prove more beneficial. The chances of that happening are slim--just like studies on raw diets for dogs versus kibble. A lot of people stand to lose a lot if money if those facts ever came out.

There are small studies here and there in favor of DE with worms. You would have to really look, not easy to find
    *CLINICAL OBSERVATIONS OF FEEDING CODEX FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH TO DOGS, O.C. Collins, DVM, Midland Animal Clinic And Hospital, Midland, TX: "In clinical observations of feeding dogs over 35 lbs. 1 tbsp./day and under 35 lbs. 1 tsp./day of DE, within seven days all ova disappeared from stools. DE controlled Ascardis (Toxacara canids), Hookworms (Anclyostoma caninum), and Whipworms (Trichuris vulipis)."

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Do you have a link to that study? I'd like to read it. Thanks for sharing. I hear what you are saying about being a small sample and taken with a grain of salt. But details are great. :thumbsup

Too many people are too lazy to feed their dogs raw... even IF there is plenty of good reason. A good nutritional diet is so key to our pets immune systems working for them. Awesome that you work to keep your pets healthy!

Ever consider not using the DE and seeing how your floats come back? They add up so I bought my own microscope... but haven't yet pursued as that's one of too MANY (projects) going on. :hmm

EggWalrus and puffypoo22 like this.
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I used DE when first starting out with chickens. My chickens still got worms. It is a waste of money and time. Benzimidazoles are the way to go when treating worms in poultry.
    I've been to many vets with many dogs over the years. Not one of them has offered to sell me DE as a worm preventative or treatment. I'm sure they could make a mint selling it...IF it were effective.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, until they dust bathe and big clouds of it come up....unless soil and DE is damp in which case DE cannot do it's desiccation function.

5. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    If there is a cloud coming up, then way to much was used. You don't need to much at all. If you put it in and it's damp it would clump and be a mess. When I mix it I don't even see it, it's blended well.

EggWalrus likes this.
  6. Soft wood burns up almost completely so there is not a lot of ash produced. Hydrated lime, is high in base chemicals as opposed to acid chemicals. lye is also made by burning plain old lime otherwise known as calcium carbonate or hydroxide, traditionally called slaked lime, hydrated lime, or pickling lime. This chemical is also present in baby formula so I think that it is somewhat safe. A smidgen of slaked lime in the dust bath is also good but it is highly irritating to bare skin, so much so that you should wear gloves and safety glasses when using it, especially if have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time. I am unable as well as unwilling to recommend an amount of slaked lime to add to a dust bath. The only thing to remember is that you could well over do the lye thing when using slaked lime.

Wood ash from a wood stove or fireplace is the best source of wood ashes that I know of. It is also my understanding now that if you California residents use your fireplaces or wood burning stoves for the purpose that you purchased them for that Al Gore will show up at your front door with a SWAT team.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I dunno...my girls make big dust clouds without DE added.

8. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Songster

May 11, 2018
    I use a combination of de and wood ash to prevent mites and lice. Thus far i have not had an issue with either but that is not to say i wont use chemicals if it becomes an issue. I used to watch a video blog on youtube about raising chickens and she has since lost my viewership due to claims of treating worms with fg de. She also claims that you can tell your birds have worms because the eggs have poop on them. Uh no. Just no. The only way to be sure is do a fecal float. Your birds could have worms and you dont even know it. I bet her chickens are lousy with parasites:sick

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    LOL, I saw that Youtube video a long time ago and laughed. She has alot to learn.

janiedoe, EggWalrus and puffypoo22 like this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Misinformation abounds.....most youtubers are in it for their own 'fame'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: