What is the easiest roof to install?

It's lovely to be able to get under the overhang when collecting eggs or opening the door to get inside.
^^^
Two big mistakes in my first raised hen house build (before I discovered BYC).

One, not enough under eave ventilation (but the design is "unique", so there is still plenty of airflow) and a half inch mismeasurement on the rafters which still ticks me off.)

Two, while I had the wisdom to make a "me height", side open, bottom hinged access to the nesting boxes, its where the rain runs off the roof of the house, and inches from where the rain runs off that side of the barn.

See sig: "Finding Success by Learning from Failure"
One of these days, when cost is less object, I'll take the whole thing apart (its screwed together), rip it out of the ground, move it next to the grow-out pen, and restructure some of the errors. Maybe convert it to a long greenhouse. Its a two weekend, two six packs of good beer sort of job. Use the harvested steel from the current roofing to extend the "goat house", linked above

a half inch mismeasurement on the rafters which still ticks me off.

You probably don't remember from the Neuchickenstein build thread, but one post was 3-4" out of line.

DH was waffling about replanting it.

I asked him if he'd be able to look at the coop for the next 20 years without thinking about it.

He moved the post. :D

Glavalume is the method used to treat the steel. and I used 3x12s on my barn. Worked great. BETTER with two people. They can be unweildy otherwise.

and I like overhangs, so if I was doing a 5x4, I'd buy two 3x12 sheets and rip them in half, make a 6x6 roof for it.

Its my climate. Rains constantly.

I like overhangs as well. So for a building that is 8x12 with a roof that is 12x10 (ie, 4 foot and 2 foot overhang) how far would you space the rafters and purlins?

Looking at the photos you put up, it looks like you used 2x4s for the rafters and 2x6s for the purlins? But I can only guess your spacing so I can't figure out the quantity of lumber I need for my 12x10 roof. (the 12 foot is the part that will slope, so I'll need enough 12 foot panels to cover the 10 foot width)

I'm about to place a rather huge order and want to make sure my math/quantity is right.

This is exciting by the way. Our sudden influx of critters (we have 8 turkey poults growing up fast, 12 ridiculously absurd meat chickens, and a surprise batch of a dozen+ new eggers we just hatched without planning for has made my wife realize we need the other 2 buildings to complete the Chicken Moop Compound (the chicken moat using tons of panel hoops per another of my threads where @U_Stormcrow and @3KillerBs were also incredibly helpful).

Which means I'm about to order enough materials for 2 more 8x12 coops and to finish off a mini coop or two (for mamas, or meat chickens,etc). Which is exciting, expensive, and a ton of future work... But she kept thinking we could wait out the inflation but I think between necessity and the odds of prices going down... Today's the day.

0701211850c_HDR.jpg

We used 2x6 rafters with 1x4 purlins.

I'm not certain. I *think* it's 2 feet.

The lower roof in the photo is 8 feet over the coop with very nearly 4 feet of lower overhang.

Okay. That slope will be the same as mine, 12 foot total w 4 being overhang. So it looks like you used 7 purlins which puts it at 2 feet.

12 rafters? Don't know distance so don't know spacing. Did you overhang roofing off the sides at all? If so did you support it? I can't tell from that photo

View attachment 3111906

We used 2x6 rafters with 1x4 purlins.
Huh. That's not at all what I would have expected... I'd planned on using 2x4 rafters (having them on side adds strength) and 2x6 purlins across for extra support. But I have no reason for that, I'm just spitballing.

I suppose, now that I think of it, technically, the purlins aren't holding any real weight since its transferred to the rafters. So 1x4 might be just fine and I was about to overkill it by a large margin.

Can anyone else confirm 2x6 rafters and 1x4 purlins?

It doesn't look like you overhung your purlins to the side, but I just asked that in previous post

Back
Top Bottom