What Is The Latest In Your Garden Today? New Post From The 2012 Post

Between the bouts of rain today, I’ve started clearing out our tomatoes plants. Getting a good amount of green tomatoes that will maybe ripen indoors. Until next year my lovely fruit!

I have potato plants galore. Onions are looking good same thing as the garlic and my strawberry plants are still alive 🤨. I haven't ever had strawberry plants do good for me. Have carrots growing but I don't know how to thin them out so that's a bust but I will try again. I'm working with my mom to try to get her gardening and hoping we can get together for canning lots and lots of good things from our gardens. Other than that I got to get some new chicks to grow my flock. I got 1 each white leghorn and black sex link, and I got 2 Easter Eggers

IMG_20240309_141513.jpg

I have potato plants galore. Onions are looking good same thing as the garlic and my strawberry plants are still alive 🤨. I haven't ever had strawberry plants do good for me. Have carrots growing but I don't know how to thin them out so that's a bust but I will try again. I'm working with my mom to try to get her gardening and hoping we can get together for canning lots and lots of good things from our gardens. Other than that I got to get some new chicks to grow my flock. I got 1 each white leghorn and black sex link, and I got 2 Easter Eggers

How big are the carrots?
If they are still very small you can pinch the leaves right by the dirt and gently pull them out to thin. If they are bigger you may need to twist as you pull.

Strawberries are hungry plants so need fed pretty often. A good manure based well composted top dressing 1/2" deep should give them a boost. Just be careful not to bury the crown of the plant.

Potatoes are supposed to be so easy yet I just can't get them to produce. How much do you water? I can get them to grow greens but they die back too quickly and I may get a handful of tiny potatoes (and I mean tiny). Not sure if I am overwatering, underwatering, or watering inconsistently as I try to figure it out.

Carrots are hands-down one of my favorite things to grow and harvest. To thin them, don't try to pull them out. Instead, wait until they are just tall enough to determine which you think is the strongest and healthiest, then use sharp scissors to snip the others down to the soil line. They will stop growing, the tiny root system will stay intact for the beneficial soil life, and the carrot you chose for the space will continue to grow without the trauma of its bed-mate being pulled away. I feed the thinned greens to the chickens and everyone is happy. Hope this helps!

Potatoes are supposed to be so easy yet I just can't get them to produce. How much do you water? I can get them to grow greens but they die back too quickly and I may get a handful of tiny potatoes (and I mean tiny). Not sure if I am overwatering, underwatering, or watering inconsistently as I try to figure it out.

Carrots are hands-down one of my favorite things to grow and harvest. To thin them, don't try to pull them out. Instead, wait until they are just tall enough to determine which you think is the strongest and healthiest, then use sharp scissors to snip the others down to the soil line. They will stop growing, the tiny root system will stay intact for the beneficial soil life, and the carrot you chose for the space will continue to grow without the trauma of its bed-mate being pulled away. I feed the thinned greens to the chickens and everyone is happy. Hope this helps!
I know that after you start seeing the green top come up you have to start adding more soil. It's supposed to be like a mound. About the carrots I haven't had luck with them but I will remember what you said so hopefully I can get some fresh carrots.

I planted some mini pumpkin seeds today. I picked some cilantro and parsley for dehydrating. Around the 15 of April I think I should check out my onions and garlic to see if I have any useable onions and garlic.

Back
Top Bottom