What Is The Latest In Your Garden Today? New Post From The 2012 Post

Feb 17, 2021
I don't know if posters will use this new branch-off from the the 2012 post, "What did you do in the garden today?". That post has A MILLION reply's since then on the makings of everyone's garden, and I thought it would be a refresher for a new garden going-on's. And so that anybody that has questions in the world of gardening can skim through the reply's for answers, instead of going through ALL of the reply's in the original 2012 post.Feel free to talk of the events going on in your garden in this What Is The Latest In Your Garden Today post, 2021!

To start things off, I have harvested all the corn off of my stalks and uprooted the stalks. Have also uprooted the old tomato plants to make room for the germinating tomato seedlings. I have also started germinating lettuce, onions, and tomato's in my greenhouse.

If green beans have flowered once and been harvested will they rebloom or do I have to plant new ones??
My understanding is that beans will keep flowering and making beans as long as no beans got old enough for the plant to "think" it's done. If you keep them picked, the plant keeps trying to make more beans because it hasn't fulfilled its job of reproduction.

But it only takes a bean or two to do it, so you have to keep them well picked. I've had bean plants go way into September here, in zone 5.

My understanding is that beans will keep flowering and making beans as long as no beans got old enough for the plant to "think" it's done. If you keep them picked, the plant keeps trying to make more beans because it hasn't fulfilled its job of reproduction.

But it only takes a bean or two to do it, so you have to keep them well picked. I've had bean plants go way into September here, in zone 5.
Pretty much the way it is. Same with a lot of veggies.

Good afternoon gardeners. @pennyJo1960 I’m sorry about your birds, I hope your neighbor is ashamed.

We’ve spent the better part of the day working on the backyard. The bulk trash is ready to move out to the curb next weekend, we got the picnic table moved to the patio, and generally straightened up. I got the thing I made with HWC and weed fabric around the pole In the garden and it’s full of soil, seeds will go in tomorrow. The lettuces are growing well and I swear the carrots grew three inches this week. I bought soil to transplant the elephant ears into 25 gallon grow bags and I’m going to put those on dollies so they’re easier to move. I still need more soil for the second bag and some more for the apple tree too.

I have forgotten every day this week to get some of the cooler tshirt bags out of the husband’s vehicle and he’s working, but I found this one in my trunk today. I don’t cut off the collars unless they’re on the small side and this one I didn’t use pinking shears on, it was one of the first I made.
AC883E40-3307-498A-90A8-3A8C6EE97D82.jpeg

Have a great weekend all. Stay warm and safe!

About 3 or 4 years ago, I tried this trick from the Internet, where I got 2 tall laundry baskets, and lined them with a heavy duty trash bag. Cut slots for drainage in both the basket and the bag. You set a PVC pipe with holes in the center with a bit of compost/soil at the bottom to help hold it up, and add more compost and some worms. Then I filled the bag with good potting soil, with compost and rotted manure amendments. I put slits in the plastic bag all around and inserted strawberries, and in one of the baskets, I also put in a couple of asparagus roots. Each spring, I would also insert some lettuce seedlings into unused slits in the baskets. I put compost into the tops of the PVC pipes, and it worked like a keyhole garden design, feeding the plants as the compost broke down and worm poop/tea filtered out. I also set these babies on strong plant rollers, which was a great and wise idea, if I do say so myself. They get terribly heavy and you will have to shift them.

Now, the strawberries are pretty much played out and the asparagus is winding down too. The plastic in the laundry baskets is getting weakened from years in the sun and weather. I have one unused basket. I am thinking I might do that again, with strawberries up high, and lettuces and maybe other things that chickens might enjoy. I had no chickens when I set up the baskets before. Any ideas about what I ought to plant? I was considering giving the chickens a little planter box of strawberries of their own. Maybe they will leave the high ones alone?

I cleaned out some fresh chicken poop....and mixed it with about 200 lbs of top soil, and added it to my tomato rows before planting in a few weeks. Covered the rows with landscape fabric to heat things up 😉. My FIL always had the best tomatoes by doing this. I also harvested my parsley that did fabulous over the winter.
Chickens doing double doody😂😂
I brought this post over from the 2012 😉

Back
Top Bottom