What is the latest you have had a pullet start laying?

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
I know this has been asked before, but I tried to search and could not find it. Maybe I am not using the right words.

I have an EE and a Buff Brahma that are 28 weeks old and are the only 2 from my 6 that have not started laying.

What is the oldest you have seen a pullet start laying?

I'm not certain how old my girls were when I got them, but they were supposed to be "at least 18 - 24 weeks of age" according to the supplier. They first one didn't start laying for another 6 weeks, and the other two started laying 4 weeks after that.

Based on that, I'd say the last one to lay was at least 28 weeks old, maybe older.

I have 4 production red hens. 2 have been laying for weeks, one just started laying this week, and I have one more I am waiting to join the club.
Based on when the feed store ordered and got their shipment in, I am guessing they will be 24 weeks this weekend.

I've had ameraucanas that didn't give me their first egg until they were almost a year old.

I have two brahmas.. one light, one buff that are 10 months old and haven't given me an egg yet... one of their hatchmates started laying two months ago at 8 months.

I have a number of girls from my Easter Hatch that I'm hoping will begin laying soon.

8 mo, 10 mo, YEAR! UGH
th.gif

I have a black orp that is a little over 7 months and still not laying. Her sister has been laying for about 3 weeks now. ARgh.

I had one EE I got as a chick in March of 2009 Her sisters started laying in Aug. I never saw this hen go near the nest box. Then in Feb I caught her, she layed an olive egg. That confirm she had not been laying because all the rest were sky blue and quite large. This egg was very olive and small. Also she didn't molt in 2010 when the others did and has not molted this year so far.

I'm thinking 10 years, because that is how long it FEELS like I've been waiting!!
he.gif
Did you hatch these yourself? Were they 1 day old when you got them? I had someone tell me a few of the chicks I bought were older then they really were, but I didn't know that at the time. I'm still guessing mine are between 18 and 25 weeks, but still a guess! I too, want to join the first egg club!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Well I have had them since March 15 (27 weeks). I was told they hatched on March 8 (which makes them 28 weeks). Four of the six I have started laying between Aug 8 and Aug 23 (22-24 wks). So even if they were day old when I got them (which I doubt) they are AT LEAST 27 weeks old.

The DH keeps telling me if they dont get it together, they will be dinner! Come on girls!!

Back
Top Bottom