What is the most humane way to kill a chicken?

Quote:
First electrocution....now cyanide...
th.gif

What were you in a previous life...a Nazi???
ep.gif

yuckyuck.gif

this is just a hard gruesome subject isn't it.

I moved this to meat birds as it fit better here than "feeding time".

MayberrySaint, have you posted the specific details on how you gas your birds? Would you be willing to create a page using the "Personal Pages" tool with info / pictures of your setup? I believe that this has got to be the most humane way to do this (my opinion).

Quote:
Can you eat them if they're killed this way?

No, do NOT eat chickens if killed this way. This is a way is for people who prefer the less "hands on" approaches such as axe and neck breaking.

Quote:
If I can get my ex to let me use the digital camera I would love to show it. It is a trash can (w/lid) with a hole cut in the top. A flexible hose that connects to my car exhaust and then goes into the top of the trash can.

Quote:
Can you eat them if they're killed this way?

If you use carbon monoxide (car exhaust), you cannot eat the meat. I use this for injured animals...

If you want to purchase a carbon dioxide cannister (local gas/welding company), you can use the same system and the meat is perfectly edible. Many slaughter houses in Europe use carbon dioxide to put the animals to sleep before they are bled out.

Quote:
If I can get my ex to let me use the digital camera I would love to show it. It is a trash can (w/lid) with a hole cut in the top. A flexible hose that connects to my car exhaust and then goes into the top of the trash can.

I'm going to do something with a 5 gallon bucket (I'm hoping it will be less time to gas up).

MayberrySaint, I'm also wondering how / what you attach to the tailpipe that doesn't melt the hose. Also, what type of hose do you use?

For a painless and quick death. Get a 33 gallon trash can or larger. Get a bucket of HOT WATER drop in a brick of dry ice. Pour the fog (Carbon Dioxide) into the trash can till it's above the birds head. They die quickly! Since you lose the oxygen to your brain it shouldn't hurt. You can't taste it, feel it or smell it. You can do several birds this way. Dry ice is cheap, just about everywhere has a place to pick it up. Ask your butcher where he gets his. Look up party supplies also. CO2 plants make it and alot of distilleries (sp) make it also. You get alot of CO2 from fermenting sugars. aka Making beer, wine, hard alcohol, etc.

If you really can't find it. You can make it. Remember CO2 is heavier then air, once that can is full put a lid on it. It will be good unless you stir in alot of regular air. You can make C02 by filling 2liter bottles with sugar water and putting yeast in it. Just make sure the air pours into your can. May take a day or so to get enough. Matters on how much sugar you use, how many bottles/buckets.

I used to use this method for adding CO2 to my hydroponics/aeroponics and gardening setups. Remember!! if you do use this for gardening in a greenhouse you can easily kill yourself. YOU CANNOT SMELL IT, TASTE IT or SENSE IT other then you get shortness of breath before you drop dead!
Play safe children
tongue.png
lol.png

Bubba

Back
Top Bottom