What is the proper term for this color?

CAGrown

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2015
Hatched out a few of our own eggs this spring, and these boys are about 14 weeks and the product of a Danish Brown Leghorn hen and a Wheaten Americana/EE roo. Wold this color be "blue"?

Also, probably going to keep one but rehome the other, what traits would you look for in the one to keep? The dad is my friendliest chicken and will stay dominant rooster in the group. The one in the back of this image is more dominant of these two, little darker color, and his comb is longer and flops over one eye. I live in a warm climate so no threat of comb damage from frost. Not really sure what I like best of the two and would appreciate your opinions! Thank you :)

When you mix colors, you get offspring that don't have official colors. The closest would be something like a blue wheaten, but they don't really match up to that. They're not blue, they're not quite blue breasted red either. They're mixed color.

As far as who to keep....there's really not much difference between them. It's going to come down to who you like the best.

I like the lighter colored one, what is his disposition like? I mainly think you should pick the best temperament - as far as you can tell at this age. You don't want a brute that terrorizes your hens and humans. After that look for the most attractive, , etc.in making up your mind.

Back
Top Bottom