what is the roo doing

thesteven

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
so i am on the fence about this roo being nice are mean, or well "really"
cool.png
happy to see me.. everytime i go in the pen he come up and puts his wing down and does his little mating dance and sometime even tries to grap my foot and do the dead, at first i thought he ws mean but i got to pick him and he stand there letting me. he is like a baby in my arms as long as I support his feet. so is he thinking i am a hen, showing dominace or what, never has bucked or tried to flog me theough.
any help
thanks

He IS "courting" you, but there's a sneaky reason behind it: if you are one of his hens, HE IS THE BOSS OF YOU.

My dominant rooster makes the "Come hither, my little hen, I have found something nice for you" sounds, does his Rooster Dance of Love for me, brings me pretty leaves, or a special pebble and lays them at my feet. I ignore him (although I am amused and honored, inside). I do NOT accept his gifts, just keep on doing whatever I was doing.

Every now and then, I pick him up and carry him around for a while, maybe 5 or 10 minutes, just to reinforce that I AM THE BOSS OF HIM.

lol, thanks yall, it is quite funny, though he dont bring me treats, l wish he brought me money... yea i hold him about 5 times a week just for a bit... it is very funny IMO

Ah, cool. Mine don't do that to me, but they also aren't mean to me. I did see my new Frizzle roo trying it a few times on two hens he likes. They just thought he was repulsive and ran off. Kinda felt sad for him...ah well!

Quote:
LOL....yeah, I wish mine brought me money too!
lau.gif

The roos I've rasied from chicks never dance at me. I'm the dominant "roo". They come right to me, like the hens, looking for treats, eat at my feet, etc. But I never handle them much - for that matter, I don't pick the hens up either. (We have too many, at any given time at least 70 layers, plus chicks growing out, Cornish X, etc.)

I always stop in the yard or pasture when a roo approaches me. Once he stops, I wait a couple seconds, then I take one or two steps toward him. The roo will turn slightly and take a step or two away to the side. This indicates I'm considered dominant. If he didn't "give", then I'd pick him up and force him to endure it for 10 mintues or more.

Then there's my RIR roo.... *sigh* I didn't rasie him. He was "grown", about 6 1/2 mo old when I got him. He's danced at me, tried to flog my ankles/legs. We went a round every 3-4 weeks where I'd kick him off and then carry him around. That would set him straight for awhile....then here we go again a month later.

Finally I won. He's behaved for 5 or 6 months now. Of course, I never turn my back to him (and we have no children). I've kept him to breed sexlink chicks from my BR and Delaware hens. BUT this year I'm breeding him to young RIR hens I raised last Summer. I'm going to pick a son to replace him. He'll be soup by late Fall.

Last edited:
whats up with soup all the time, lol everybody making soup what about fried chicken, lol guess when they are old they need to be soup, any way was just down there and he let me pick him up, mabye i am his surgar owner, want to mount me but loves to cuddle up with me and like to be held casue i give him treats, he didn't try it today, ohwell crazy birds.

An older DP bird will not make acceptable fried chcicken. They need to be slow cooked - ie soup, chicken n dumplings, stew, coq au vin, chicken picatta, etc.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom