What is the severity of this bumblefoot?

mairivc

Chirping
Mar 12, 2021
Hello,

I have no vets nearby who are willing to take in chickens and my young rooster haa bumblefoot. I am wondering what the severity of his bumblefoot currently is and how best to treat it. I'm posting a picture of it so that hopefully someone can enlighten me. Thanks in advance!!
IMG-0092.jpg

I don't see a lesion. Why do you think it's bumblefoot, and how long has it been going on? It may just be an injury, if he's limping.

If there is a scab (what looks like a dark spot of pigment to me, could be a scab?) then it's so small I would just treat it topically. It may very well resolve that way. If it gets worse then you'd need to treat it more.

I don't see a lesion. Why do you think it's bumblefoot, and how long has it been going on? It may just be an injury, if he's limping.
Thank you. It started about a month ago and he was not using his leg, just laying down. I started epsom salt baths twice a day and vetericyn sprays and he started walking with a limp, tho he still lifts his leg up when standing. How do I differentiate between bumblefoot and another injury?

If there is a scab (what looks like a dark spot of pigment to me, could be a scab?) then it's so small I would just treat it topically. It may very well resolve that way. If it gets worse then you'd need to treat it more.
In terms of topical treatment, would I need to bandage it or are the Epsom salt baths and vetericyn sprays enough? I tried bandaging with neosporin one day and it got swollen like a balloon so I stopped.

Bumblefoot is caused by a break in the skin, even a very tiny one, that lets bacteria in and infection sets in, often it's staph. There is normally a lesion/scab at the point of entry and over time the area may get quite swollen and red looking. When there is a lesion the usual treatment is to remove the scab, clean out any pus, and fill with neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment, and bandage. Bandages get changed daily until it's healing well. When they are very small sometimes topically treating them is enough and they will heal up that way. Epsom salts soaks are good, they help with pain and swelling and when there is a lesion, it helps to soften it. If his foot swelled when you bandaged it, it may have been wrapped too tight. The bandaging should just be firm enough to keep things in place, but not real tight. Vet wrap or co wrap works really well. You can get co wrap at tractor supply stores in 4" wide rolls in the horse section and cut to lengths and widths you need. It stretches and sticks to itself, stays in place very well. Any time bandaging is done it should be checked regularly for swelling and be removed and replaced if needed.
Strains and sprains are not uncommon either, sometimes they will swell, sometimes not. Those can take weeks to months to resolve depending on how it happened and how severe. They can get legs caught in fencing and yank them getting them out, land wonky jumping to and from roosts, or if there is more than one roo could be fighting, etc. If the limp is severe then you might crate him for a while to force him to rest it more. If it's just a minor limp, he's getting around well and doing normal things, then just keeping an eye on him may be enough, make sure it doesn't get worse. If you see swelling, redness, etc.

Back
Top Bottom