What is the strangest thing your chickens ate? Mine just ate crawfish Monica and aligator tail

I heard uncooked grits or oatmeal swells in the ants belly too,
thumbsup.gif

My light sussex caught and ate a mouse once - unfortunately too quick for me to get my camera.  They also love everything from  salmon heads to beetroot!  Basically almost anything, but preferably cooked.  Some things that they won't touch raw (courgette/zucchini, pumpkin, cauliflower) they will fight over like piranhas once it's cooked! 

They have also recently developed a taste for chilli and sweet (bell) pepper seeds - I throw out the central part of the pepper with the seeds on, and they go mad for it!

If I ever give my girls eggs then I cook them first, to avoid giving them a taste for raw eggs and risking a problem in the nest boxes;

Mine love pepper seeds too!

I threw my hens egg shells and cracked eggs and it was a huge mistake. I ended up causing some of my hens to start eating eggs. Some of the egg eaters would fly up into the nest boxes after a hen left after laying an egg and they would eat it. I ended up having to cull those hens from the flock because not only did I teach them that but they were teaching others to do it to. I will never do that again.  
that was a smart idea to Cull those that had learned how to do that so they didn't teach the others, good job!. And I'm sorry you had to do that that's always so sad when we have to take some of them out.

One ate a small snake (and I've caught them hunting down a full grown black racer but it was too fast for the girls) and the other day they got some crab rangoons and went crazy for 'em ;p

When we clean out the fridge every few weeks they get all the left overs (nothing that's gone bad) and it's like their own thanksgiving feast ;p

My flock finally took care of the little mouse that's been snacking on their food. My Barred Rock was the first one to see it trying to scurry out of the coop, then they all joined in.

i guess the ugliest thing they've eaten was a huge beetle. They have tried popcorn which was a "NO" and styrofoam, which was yes until I caught her. They do like stale birthday cake! And peaches and grapes. Yum!

The DE-food grade is great for keeping bugs, including ants out of our house. I just sprinkle it lightly around the perimeter.

I threw my hens egg shells and cracked eggs and it was a huge mistake. I ended up causing some of my hens to start eating eggs. Some of the egg eaters would fly up into the nest boxes after a hen left after laying an egg and they would eat it. I ended up having to cull those hens from the flock because not only did I teach them that but they were teaching others to do it to. I will never do that again.

its ok to give them thoroughly crushed egg shells and cooked scrambled or raw as long as its very well covered (like under their daily scraps) or mixed in

i give them peaches. a little while later i find the peach pits STRIPPED TO THE PIT not a single little crack untouched! amazing!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom