What is the WHITE on the yolks? (PIC'S)

Biddieacres

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
These are some of our first eggs from our 24 week old chickens. Is it normal to have all this white on the yolk? I don't remember seeing this from store bought eggs. Does anyone know what it is?
Thanks!

8171_eggs2.jpg

8171_eggs.jpg

Last edited:
I think I remember reading that it's the part of the white that attaches to the ends of the shell as the egg is formed (called a chalais (sp) or something like that). Store bought eggs are older than our eggs and the reason you don't see it in a store bought egg is because the white gets thinner and fades as the egg ages.
Anyone can correct me if I'm remembering this wrong!!!

Just looks like whites to me. You can in NO way compare anything store bought and home grown.

Home grown meat is often tough and strong to people, no matter the age or ageing the meet gets before freezing or cooking and you cannot peel a fresh hard boiled egg without peeling off half of the white with the shell.

That's just how it is.

Last edited:
Oh OK, thanks.
lol.png
Guess I am being overcautious. Analyzing the eggs and still getting used to the fact that we can actually eat eggs from our own chicks. (I know weird) The eggs I gathered this morning from a different chicken did not have the white on the yolks like the ones in the picture. I guess they are all different and we will gladly take them all as long as you all say it is fine, were eating them!

Just got two double yolkers in a row from our leghorn. It was the biggest egg I have ever seen in my life! It was yummy too.
lol.png
I like this.

How old were those eggs? I've never seen that before. Assuming they were very fresh but if not, wondering if they were fertile and started to develop? (Even if that's the case, I've heard that's a delicacy in some places - perfectly edible so don't panic.)

If they are new layers, maybe that's just the way they are supposed to be? Just guessing.

Back
Top Bottom